Old 01-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Craig Cowing

On Apr 1, 2005, at 5:07 AM, Billy M. Rhodes wrote:

In a message dated 3/31/2005 8:46:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

They have
some America Red Maples on sale for around $12. However, they're
about
6 feet tall or so, too tall for bonsai. Is it possible to cut them
down somehow? Is there a way to get branches to grow lower on the
trunk?

Here on the Space Coast these are about the only Maples was can
grow
so I have to agree with Craig and Anita eventhough I am not married to
either
one of them.

Good thing too! ;0)
Maples do tend to bud back and if you cut it to one foot you
would
probably get branches at the top of the cut. But if you're squeamish
about that,
cut just above the lowest branch now and wait for buds to pop lower
before you
cut lower. The leaves are larger to start but if you pinch and
defoliate they
will reduce.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

The caveat is that if he does a major cut it's going to take a few
years to develop branches, so leaf reduction won't be an issue for
awhile. In fact, I fertilize mine heavily to encourage more rapid
development, knowing they're going to be cut back eventually. I've had
two red maples (collected) in training now for 3 years and won't be
thinking about leaf reduction for several more years.

Craig Cowing
NY
zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++