Old 01-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Steve wachs

In a message dated 3/31/2005 6:51:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

hardware store near my house is having a sale on trees. They have
some America Red Maples on sale for around $12. However, they're about
6 feet tall or so, too tall for bonsai. Is it possible to cut them
down somehow? Is there a way to get branches to grow lower on the
trunk? Would I have to buy two and thread graft from one to the other
or something? Is trying to do this just a waste of time?

Adam

You can most definitely cut the tree all way to a desirable height. you
should find the top of the roots to determine where you should begin. Then I
would cut the tree way back on a 45* angle then just wait for it to bud along the
trunk.

SteveW

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++