Old 01-04-2005, 05:24 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I have a problem with pump noise. During the night it seems that my pump
is a little too loud for my neighbors liking. I have an excellent bead
filter and pump. The water in the pond is in perfect balance. The pond
volume is about 2000 gallons. I have a number of koi that are doing
well. About 3/4 of the return water goes through a bog and the rest over
a waterfall. I have a high capacity air bubbler in the pond. My question
is: if I shut the pump off for several hours at night would that kill
off the bacteria in the filter and cause harm. I was thinking of putting
a small submersible pump into the bog at night. Does anyone have
experience with shutting off a filter on a daily basis. Conventional
wisdom tells me that I may be creating a big problem. Thanks in advance.

Your wisdom is correct. I'd suggest some sort of housing to muffle the pump
noise? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~