Old 31-03-2005, 07:30 PM
Gary Lieberman

Default Shutting off bead filter

I have a problem with pump noise. During the night it seems that my pump
is a little too loud for my neighbors liking. I have an excellent bead
filter and pump. The water in the pond is in perfect balance. The pond
volume is about 2000 gallons. I have a number of koi that are doing
well. About 3/4 of the return water goes through a bog and the rest over
a waterfall. I have a high capacity air bubbler in the pond. My question
is: if I shut the pump off for several hours at night would that kill
off the bacteria in the filter and cause harm. I was thinking of putting
a small submersible pump into the bog at night. Does anyone have
experience with shutting off a filter on a daily basis. Conventional
wisdom tells me that I may be creating a big problem. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:24 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I have a problem with pump noise. During the night it seems that my pump
is a little too loud for my neighbors liking. I have an excellent bead
filter and pump. The water in the pond is in perfect balance. The pond
volume is about 2000 gallons. I have a number of koi that are doing
well. About 3/4 of the return water goes through a bog and the rest over
a waterfall. I have a high capacity air bubbler in the pond. My question
is: if I shut the pump off for several hours at night would that kill
off the bacteria in the filter and cause harm. I was thinking of putting
a small submersible pump into the bog at night. Does anyone have
experience with shutting off a filter on a daily basis. Conventional
wisdom tells me that I may be creating a big problem. Thanks in advance.

Your wisdom is correct. I'd suggest some sort of housing to muffle the pump
noise? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 02-04-2005, 06:01 AM
KoiDave

I wouldn't stop the flow of water thru the bead filter. What you
didn't tell us is how big your pump and motor is and what flow rate you
have thru the filter. Have you thought about a 2 speed motor with the
slow speed for nighttime? I got a digital controller and can set any
speed and flow rate I want. Is it the pump/motor or the waterfall
causing the neighbors to lose sleep? I found a noise supression site
on the internet and bought exterior noise abatement foam (about 1.5"
thick). I built a small enclosure around the pump and motor. Greatly
deadened the sound.

Dave

Old 04-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Gary Lieberman

Thank you for your advice on pump noise and shutting off the filter at
night. Several members mentioned building an enclosure around the pump.
I would like some advice on building one. What type of materials would
be both waterproof and sound proof. Thanks

Old 04-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Bob Koerber

Gary Lieberman wrote:

Thank you for your advice on pump noise and shutting off the filter at
night. Several members mentioned building an enclosure around the
pump. I would like some advice on building one. What type of materials
would be both waterproof and sound proof. Thanks

Just get a plastic cooler. Drill holes as needed and put the pump inside. Waterproof and with the insulation will be pretty soundproof.

Bob

Old 04-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Reel McKoi

"Bob Koerber" wrote in message
Gary Lieberman wrote:

Thank you for your advice on pump noise and shutting off the filter at
night. Several members mentioned building an enclosure around the
pump. I would like some advice on building one. What type of materials
would be both waterproof and sound proof. Thanks

Just get a plastic cooler. Drill holes as needed and put the pump inside.

Waterproof and with the insulation will be pretty soundproof.

Bob

What about HEAT? Aren't the out-of-pond pumps air as well as water (flow
through) cooled?
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...