Old 01-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
ZoeM wrote:

I'm new to the board. I live in the South East (London suburbs) and
have a very enclosed patio and front garden (my Crassula stays out
there during the winter and survives!). I don't have a greenhouse
however.

In the past few weeks, I've tried sowing seed for the first time - and
now have lots of seed trays in my tiny flat. All is going (fairly)
well - except I'm running out of space!

I have a larger house, and much the same happens. Seeds expand to
overfill the space available.

My Globe Thistles seem to be doing well - thay all have two 'real'
leaves. But I've lost the packet with the instructions. Does anyone
know when I can plant them out? From recall - I think it's April.
I've given them some little outings onto the patio when it's been warm
- and they seem OK. They're taking up quite a lot of room! (I am
thinking of investing in a small cold frame)

That would be fine. They won't take a serious frost when small, and
you really, but really, don't need more than one in a normal sized
garden. However, you can plant several close together and establish
a clump faster.

Also - I've had mildew on the soil of the lobelia and salvia seedlings.
I repotted them today and sprayed with fungicide. Does anyone have any
tips on keeping this yucky stuff away?!!

Don't let them stay so damp. Once they (especially salvia) have a
root system, they should have drier conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.