Old 03-04-2005, 12:00 AM
hugh

In message , ken cohen
writes
I read somewhere that it's best to soak and rinse grass seed over a
period of days (I forget how long for), the idea being that you get
the seed to sprout a bit before you sow, and this apparently keeps the
birds off it, and promotes rapid rooting and growth.

Anyone tried this?

Ken Cohen

Yes, it's called pre-germinating but don't soak it. Lay it out in a flat
tray and spray it lightly with water until just damp. Cover and leave
it, spraying just enough to keep it damp, for 2 or 3 days. It will then
start to sprout, taking on a slightly green hue. If you leave it too
long the shoots will begin to intertwine and it will be useless.
--
hugh