Old 03-04-2005, 12:34 AM
Sacha

On 3/4/05 0:31, in article ,
"Phil L" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
:: On 2/4/05 15:07, in article
:: , "ken cohen"
:: wrote:
::
::: I read somewhere that it's best to soak and rinse grass seed over
::: a period of days (I forget how long for), the idea being that
::: you get the seed to sprout a bit before you sow, and this
::: apparently keeps the birds off it, and promotes rapid rooting and
::: growth.
:::
:: My husband's method is to sow grass seed in a bag of compost and
:: loosely roll over the edge of the bag. Naturally, you will choose
:: the quantity of compost/seed according to your needs.
:: Once the seed has germinated, scatter it where needed. That's it.
:: He was taught this many years ago by ye olde gardner and has
:: taught it to many others. It seems never to fail.

I can't fathom what your talking about...sow the seed into the bag? - and
then roll what over the bag?...what's being acheived here?

I'll try again. Take a bag of compost with just as much compost in it as
will cover the area you wish to sow. Put grass seed into that bag of
compost and mix thoroughly by hand. Loosely fold shut the bag of compost.
Wait for germination. Sow.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk