Old 03-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Duncan Heenan

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 3/4/05 12:41 pm, in article ,
"Duncan Heenan" wrote:

"SH" wrote in message
I live in Hampshire and the garden is in a frost pocket. I have an 8ft
high olive tree planted in a sunny sheltered position but keep it
wrapped
up during the winter. I've uncovered most of it but do you think I can
remove the rest of its protection yet please?

Can't answer this, but I'm interested to know the answer, because I am
about
to plant 2 olives on the Isle of Wight. Though we get only mild frosts,
we
do get some. I thought olives were able to take mild frosts. How do the
ones
in Mediterranean mountain areas get on, where they do get some frosts and
are not protected?

I suspect what will really finish them off is having cold, wet roots for
any
length of time. If you think of how they're grown in e.g. Crete, the land
they're on is stony and usually sharply drained. Don't take me as an
authority, BTW because these are just my personal observations. I think
we
really must try an olive tree outside this winter and see what happens!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Where I'm planting is very well drained so waterlogging will not be an
issue. Ask me in a year or tow's time and I should know more!