Old 02-04-2005, 10:10 PM
SH

Default olive tree

I live in Hampshire and the garden is in a frost pocket. I have an 8ft high
olive tree planted in a sunny sheltered position but keep it wrapped up
during the winter. I've uncovered most of it but do you think I can remove
the rest of its protection yet please?

Old 03-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Duncan Heenan

"SH" wrote in message
I live in Hampshire and the garden is in a frost pocket. I have an 8ft
high olive tree planted in a sunny sheltered position but keep it wrapped
up during the winter. I've uncovered most of it but do you think I can
remove the rest of its protection yet please?

Can't answer this, but I'm interested to know the answer, because I am about
to plant 2 olives on the Isle of Wight. Though we get only mild frosts, we
do get some. I thought olives were able to take mild frosts. How do the ones
in Mediterranean mountain areas get on, where they do get some frosts and
are not protected?

Old 03-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Totty

Duncan Heenan wrote:
Can't answer this, but I'm interested to know the answer, because I

am about
to plant 2 olives on the Isle of Wight. Though we get only mild

frosts, we
do get some. I thought olives were able to take mild frosts. How do

the ones
in Mediterranean mountain areas get on, where they do get some frosts

and
are not protected?

I think Sacha is right. We do get light frosts, but even in inland
areas where the temperature drops to 15=BA below, the olives survive. We
don't seem to get wet and cold at the same time.=20

Jo

Old 03-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Robert

In message .com,
Totty writes

Duncan Heenan wrote:
Can't answer this, but I'm interested to know the answer, because I

am about
to plant 2 olives on the Isle of Wight. Though we get only mild

frosts, we
do get some. I thought olives were able to take mild frosts. How do

the ones
in Mediterranean mountain areas get on, where they do get some frosts

and
are not protected?

I think Sacha is right. We do get light frosts, but even in inland
areas where the temperature drops to 15º below, the olives survive. We
don't seem to get wet and cold at the same time.

We live on a hill top in S Devon and whilst we are relatively frost free
it has been cold enough to freeze the surface of the pond on several
occasions this winter - this does not appear to have damaged our olive.
We have had it for four or five years and it lives outside all year in a
large planter.

--
Robert

Old 04-04-2005, 09:07 AM
SH

"Robert" wrote in message
In message .com, Totty
writes

Duncan Heenan wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your replies. We were told when we bought the tree three years
ago that it would be hardy since it was reared in Surrey. However during
its first winter here, it took quite a knocking during the winter and we
thought we'd lost it. With tlc it recovered but because of its near death
experience we decided to protect it and now the uncovered top half looks
very happy.
I should have thought that in a normal garden it wouldn't need protection
but ours is next to a river and we get hit very hard by frosts.
Incidentally last year we had a good crop of miniature olives despite the
poor summer.

Old 19-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Roger

SH wrote:
I live in Hampshire and the garden is in a frost pocket. I have an 8ft high
olive tree planted in a sunny sheltered position but keep it wrapped up
during the winter. I've uncovered most of it but do you think I can remove
the rest of its protection yet please?

I live in Piedmonte, NW Italy, and have been looking at trees in the
nurseries.

I have seen olive trees with the hessian protection removed, despite the
facts that there are still a few frosts at night. Given the cost of
these trees I would not imagine that they would take unecessary risks!

OTOH, there s no commercial olive growing round here, the closest is on
the seaward side of the ligurian mountains, where the climate is much
more moderated by the mediterranean.

Old 19-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Registered User

Location: U.K. South-west coast
Smile

[quote=Roger]SH wrote:[color=blue][i]
I live in Hampshire and the garden is in a frost pocket. I have an 8ft high
olive tree planted in a sunny sheltered position but keep it wrapped up
during the winter. I've uncovered most of it but do you think I can remove
the rest of its protection yet please?

I have an Olive tree in the ground in a very windy spot. It was 4 feet tall when planted 3 years ago. It is now over 12 feet high and nearly as wide. It gets no protection at all and this February/March we had a few nights below zero. It is thriving.

I live about 10 miles from Hill house on the coast at Torbay.

So not too tender..

Laury

If you follow the link to "garden growth" you should see how it has grown.
www.lauryworld.com