Old 03-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Sacha

On 3/4/05 6:00 pm, in article ,
"Susan" wrote:

I know it's far too early for summer hanging baskets, but would it be okay
to plant them up now with those little plug plants that are available for
50p each at B&Q (petunia, bacopa, lobelia, etc.), and keep the planted-up
baskets inside an unheated greenhouse until the end of May? I'm trying to
save money and get a head start on the summer season!

Definitely. But you must be able to keep your greenhouse just frost free.
Our hanging baskets are being planted up now and will have no heating at all
unless the temp drops to freezing and the thermostat kicks in. Many of our
customers with greenhouses who want to plant their own baskets and
containers are doing just what you describe but we do ask if they can keep
the plants safe from frost. You will definitely get a head start if you do
just as you describe - our baskets are beginning to fill out already.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk