Old 03-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Susan

Default Summer Hanging Baskets

I know it's far too early for summer hanging baskets, but would it be okay
to plant them up now with those little plug plants that are available for
50p each at B&Q (petunia, bacopa, lobelia, etc.), and keep the planted-up
baskets inside an unheated greenhouse until the end of May? I'm trying to
save money and get a head start on the summer season!

Thank you.

Old 03-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Springtime

Go for it - I'm not sure that I would wait till the end of May though I tend
to put mine out at the beginning of May - subject to weather.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Sacha

On 3/4/05 6:00 pm, in article ,
"Susan" wrote:

I know it's far too early for summer hanging baskets, but would it be okay
to plant them up now with those little plug plants that are available for
50p each at B&Q (petunia, bacopa, lobelia, etc.), and keep the planted-up
baskets inside an unheated greenhouse until the end of May? I'm trying to
save money and get a head start on the summer season!

Definitely. But you must be able to keep your greenhouse just frost free.
Our hanging baskets are being planted up now and will have no heating at all
unless the temp drops to freezing and the thermostat kicks in. Many of our
customers with greenhouses who want to plant their own baskets and
containers are doing just what you describe but we do ask if they can keep
the plants safe from frost. You will definitely get a head start if you do
just as you describe - our baskets are beginning to fill out already.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Susan

"Susan" wrote in message
I know it's far too early for summer hanging baskets, but would it be okay
to plant them up now with those little plug plants that are available for
50p each at B&Q (petunia, bacopa, lobelia, etc.), and keep the planted-up
baskets inside an unheated greenhouse until the end of May? I'm trying to
save money and get a head start on the summer season!

Thanks for your replies. I went to B&Q today, but unfortunately all the
plugs they had remaining were fuchias and a few sorry looking petunias.
Looks like I'll have to wait a while to plant up my baskets.

Old 06-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sacha
writes

Definitely. But you must be able to keep your greenhouse just frost free.
Our hanging baskets are being planted up now and will have no heating at all
unless the temp drops to freezing and the thermostat kicks in. Many of our
customers with greenhouses who want to plant their own baskets and
containers are doing just what you describe but we do ask if they can keep
the plants safe from frost. You will definitely get a head start if you do
just as you describe - our baskets are beginning to fill out already.

Saying that Sacha reminds me that you might have inside knowledge. Did
you spot my plea for a retailer of Petunia "Sunpurve" a scented surfinia
type? I had a word with ball and colegrave and they said the nearest
stockist that they supplied was Burston which is MILES away.

How can I find which nurseries or garden centres stock the plant? Being
an annual it doesn't seem to be in the Plantfinder.

janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 08-04-2005, 09:25 PM
robert.coppock

I planted the same plug plants from B&Q last year in April and hung all the
baskets in the shed until end of May, the grew really well and did not lose
any. Hope you have the same success.
Ann