Old 04-04-2005, 01:34 PM
~Roy~

You will loose a good portion of them to predators, both in a natural
p;ond or artificial pond. Each year I have thjousands upon thousands
of frogs and toads hatch into tadpoles, and by the time they are
little frogs or toads the numbers have diminished quite a lot. If you
have any predator type fish (Bass, bream, trout, catfish etc) they
will eat tadpoles and young frongs or toads, and no it does not poison
them....
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:50:09 GMT, "Yabbadoo" wrote:

===Thank you Kathy and Reel McKoi.
===Being man-made rather than artificial pond, I'd rather not have frogs (which
===are numerous, anyway). Quite like toads, so am happy to leave their eggs to
===mature. However, will the toad tadpoles become "live" food for the fish
===(alternatively, will they poison the fish?)
===
===
==="Yabbadoo" wrote in message
=== Attached to some LONG strands of blanketweed I found several strings of ??
=== eggs ?? - but what are they ?
===
=== Definately not frogspawn. These are jelly strings, between 4 and 7 inches
=== long, with black spots all in a line, about 20 eggs per string.
===
=== I'm in UK. Pond contains a few brand-new young Koi, about 3", a couple of
=== Koi introduced last year (now about 4" long, and an old Koi (10 years),
=== and possibly bream (they bred in the pond some years ago, just once -
=== never did see their eggs - since which a heron ate just about everything.
=== Whether they are still there, impossible to say - hard to see at best of
=== times!.
===
=== We have the inevitable frogs, and I've seen both the odd toad and newt
=== under the rockery stones - very shy creatures they are too! However,
=== never seen toads or newts in the pond.
===
=== Any idea what these egg strings could be, please?
===
===