Old 02-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Yabbadoo

Default NOT frogspawn - what is it?

Attached to some LONG strands of blanketweed I found several strings of ??
eggs ?? - but what are they ?

Definately not frogspawn. These are jelly strings, between 4 and 7 inches
long, with black spots all in a line, about 20 eggs per string.

I'm in UK. Pond contains a few brand-new young Koi, about 3", a couple of
Koi introduced last year (now about 4" long, and an old Koi (10 years), and
possibly bream (they bred in the pond some years ago, just once - never did
see their eggs - since which a heron ate just about everything. Whether they
are still there, impossible to say - hard to see at best of times!.

We have the inevitable frogs, and I've seen both the odd toad and newt under
the rockery stones - very shy creatures they are too! However, never seen
toads or newts in the pond.

Any idea what these egg strings could be, please?

Old 02-04-2005, 06:34 PM
kathy

They are not frogs' eggs but they
are toads' eggs.

Toads lay their eggs in strings,
frogs in clumps.

Soon you will have bouncing baby
toadlets!

kathy :-)

Old 02-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Reel McKoi

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...
They are not frogs' eggs but they
are toads' eggs.

Toads lay their eggs in strings,
frogs in clumps.

Soon you will have bouncing baby
toadlets!

kathy :-)

=================
Don't newts also lay eggs in stings?
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 02-04-2005, 08:17 PM
kathy

As far as I know neither newts or salamanders
lay eggs in strings.

Newts lay one egg at a time and tuck each egg
up in a fold of a leaf, which is rather sweet, until
you read that they will cannibalize each other as
infants...

kathy :-)

Old 04-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Yabbadoo

Thank you Kathy and Reel McKoi.
Being man-made rather than artificial pond, I'd rather not have frogs (which
are numerous, anyway). Quite like toads, so am happy to leave their eggs to
mature. However, will the toad tadpoles become "live" food for the fish
(alternatively, will they poison the fish?)

Old 04-04-2005, 01:34 PM
~Roy~

You will loose a good portion of them to predators, both in a natural
p;ond or artificial pond. Each year I have thjousands upon thousands
of frogs and toads hatch into tadpoles, and by the time they are
little frogs or toads the numbers have diminished quite a lot. If you
have any predator type fish (Bass, bream, trout, catfish etc) they
will eat tadpoles and young frongs or toads, and no it does not poison
them....
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:50:09 GMT, "Yabbadoo" wrote:

===Thank you Kathy and Reel McKoi.
===Being man-made rather than artificial pond, I'd rather not have frogs (which
===are numerous, anyway). Quite like toads, so am happy to leave their eggs to
===mature. However, will the toad tadpoles become "live" food for the fish
===(alternatively, will they poison the fish?)
===
===

Old 04-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Reel McKoi

"Yabbadoo" wrote in message
Thank you Kathy and Reel McKoi.
Being man-made rather than artificial pond, I'd rather not have frogs

(which
are numerous, anyway). Quite like toads, so am happy to leave their eggs

mature. However, will the toad tadpoles become "live" food for the fish
(alternatively, will they poison the fish?)

=========================
Before we netted the ponds the frogs and toads would lay their eggs on any
plant material present. I never saw a tadpole where there were koi. Before
we got koi I would see them. I don't believe the goldfish ate them - but
the koi sure did. None were poisoned as far as I know.

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 04-04-2005, 04:41 PM
kathy

Over the years I remember someone posting that their
fish would taste a toadpole and then spit it out. But
have no experience with toads. (Would love to have
toads but haven't managed that yet!)

I did visit two ponds just south of here where the ponds were
full of toadpoles and don't remember the pond owners complaining
of fish losses.

kathy :-)

Old 04-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Reel McKoi

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Over the years I remember someone posting that their
fish would taste a toadpole and then spit it out. But
have no experience with toads. (Would love to have
toads but haven't managed that yet!)

# We have a lot more frogs here where I live than toads.

I did visit two ponds just south of here where the ponds were
full of toadpoles and don't remember the pond owners complaining
of fish losses.

kathy :-)

# If they were toxic I don't think the fish would eat them.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 05-04-2005, 11:28 PM

In .com, on 04/02/05
at 09:34 AM, "kathy" said:

They are not frogs' eggs but they
are toads' eggs.

Toads lay their eggs in strings,
frogs in clumps.

Soon you will have bouncing baby
toadlets!

Dang it, I want some!!

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14

Old 11-04-2005, 03:56 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Soon you will have bouncing baby
toadlets! Kathy

Dang it, I want some!!

Alan

Don't hope for too much. I put in a pond with special intent for the
Pacific Tree Frogs and my neighbors said they couldn't sleep. So I caught
the majority and now *I* can't sleep. :-( ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 11-04-2005, 07:28 PM
Derek Broughton

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Soon you will have bouncing baby toadlets! Kathy

Dang it, I want some!!

Don't hope for too much. I put in a pond with special intent for the
Pacific Tree Frogs and my neighbors said they couldn't sleep. So I caught
the majority and now *I* can't sleep. :-( ~ jan

If Pacific Tree Frogs are anything like the eastern ones, they _do_ make a
_lot_ more noise than the American Toad. It's a lovely sound, though.
--
derek

frogspawn cineman United Kingdom 0 04-03-2009 10:07 PM
Frogspawn in Shropshire Sally Thompson United Kingdom 20 05-03-2007 01:41 PM
Slightly OT Frogspawn Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 5 01-04-2006 09:20 PM
Frogspawn and cats?! mike. buckley United Kingdom 10 29-03-2004 11:32 PM
frogspawn Kay Easton United Kingdom 12 21-03-2004 04:17 AM