Old 04-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Sacha

On 3/4/05 19:00, in article ,
"Susan" wrote:

Another question re summer hanging baskets. I always end up with either too
few or too many plants in a basket. I can find lots of recommendations for
types of plants but I can't find instructions on how many to use.

So, approximately how many plants would fill a 12" or 14" basket, using the
usual recipe of a geranium in the middle and trailers (bacopa, million
bells, verbena, lobelia, etc) around the sides and outside?

Does anyone have a favourite summer hanging basket recipe they want to
share?

All our customers ask for something different in terms of colour but if you
put 3 or 4 surfinias into a 14" basket you'll have it absolutely covered.
OTOH, if you want a mixture of plants, we put in anything up to about 13 or
14 plants in a basket. It depends, really, on what effect you want to end
up with. Although we used Lobelia if people want it, it's a brute in that
one forgotten watering on a hot day and it can die on you faster than you
can blink!
We have a basket of bacopa which is now 2 years old and is absolutely
covered with the bacopa and is now in flower in the greenhouse. It looks
absolutely lovely, if you like single colour baskets, so if you do and can
over-winter yours safely, that's a definite possibility.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk