Old 03-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Susan

Default Summer Hanging Baskets - Part II

Another question re summer hanging baskets. I always end up with either too
few or too many plants in a basket. I can find lots of recommendations for
types of plants but I can't find instructions on how many to use.

So, approximately how many plants would fill a 12" or 14" basket, using the
usual recipe of a geranium in the middle and trailers (bacopa, million
bells, verbena, lobelia, etc) around the sides and outside?

Does anyone have a favourite summer hanging basket recipe they want to
share?

Thank you.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Phil L

Susan wrote:
:: Another question re summer hanging baskets. I always end up with
:: either too few or too many plants in a basket. I can find lots of
:: recommendations for types of plants but I can't find instructions
:: on how many to use.
::
:: So, approximately how many plants would fill a 12" or 14" basket,
:: using the usual recipe of a geranium in the middle and trailers
:: (bacopa, million bells, verbena, lobelia, etc) around the sides
:: and outside?
::
:: Does anyone have a favourite summer hanging basket recipe they
:: want to share?
::
:: Thank you.

Last year I did ten baskets,(all 14") each had a Geranium in the middle, one
lobelia, one Verbena, a Pansy and an African or French Marigold...they came
out quite impressive (for a novice like me!)...the Geraniums towered in the
centre, big balls of pale pink or white, the Marigolds competed for height
with masses of Orange or Yellow, while the Verbena and Lobelia drooped dark
blues and scarlet flowers all over everywhere...the Pansies went rather
'leggy' but still had lots of flowers on them...this year I'm putting
Fuchsias in the centres of some and not bothering with the Pansies....a word
of warning if you're new to hanging baskets - they like plenty of water! - I
used to really drench mine twice per week (a trick I learned with them is
that you need to give them all about two pints of water each, leave them for
half an hour for the compost to become damp, then give them another two
pints to soak them properly, when they are fairly dry, most of the first
watering just runs straight through!)...even during rainy spells they will
get dry very quickly as rain rarely comes straight down....I've stood in the
rain watering my bone dry hanging baskets many times!

I filled them with a mixture of soil, multi-purpose compost and home made
compost (mainly lawn cuttings) ...this mixture seemed to hold the moisture
in better, I gave each one a dose of Miracle-Gro each month from May to
September and they did really well.

HTH

Old 04-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Sacha

On 3/4/05 19:00, in article ,
"Susan" wrote:

Another question re summer hanging baskets. I always end up with either too
few or too many plants in a basket. I can find lots of recommendations for
types of plants but I can't find instructions on how many to use.

So, approximately how many plants would fill a 12" or 14" basket, using the
usual recipe of a geranium in the middle and trailers (bacopa, million
bells, verbena, lobelia, etc) around the sides and outside?

Does anyone have a favourite summer hanging basket recipe they want to
share?

All our customers ask for something different in terms of colour but if you
put 3 or 4 surfinias into a 14" basket you'll have it absolutely covered.
OTOH, if you want a mixture of plants, we put in anything up to about 13 or
14 plants in a basket. It depends, really, on what effect you want to end
up with. Although we used Lobelia if people want it, it's a brute in that
one forgotten watering on a hot day and it can die on you faster than you
can blink!
We have a basket of bacopa which is now 2 years old and is absolutely
covered with the bacopa and is now in flower in the greenhouse. It looks
absolutely lovely, if you like single colour baskets, so if you do and can
over-winter yours safely, that's a definite possibility.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk