Old 04-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Stephen Henning

You've killed the string algae, and allowed it to decompose on the
bottom, where it adds to the nutrient load. Eventually, your string algae
will return, perhaps with a vengence. Add beneficial bacetia to the
water. Aquazyme has worked well for me. The bacteria in this
product competes with string and pea soup algae for the nutrients they
need to survive. As the algae die, the bacteira will eat it, preventing
sludge build up in your pond. If you use these products, it may take
a little longer (perhaps up to a month) to rid your pond of the problem, but
your pond will be much healthier that it will by killing the algae with
an algacide. Algacide is detrimental to any aquatic plants you may have in
your pond. The barley straw is a good addition, but if you use it,
add aeration to the water. Additional oxygenation will aid the action
of the barley straw. Another good addition to reduce the mutrient load is
to add more aquatic plants.

"Ridge Roofing, Inc." wrote:

Are there any temperature restrictions for this product? My pond is
spring fed and even in August rarely gets above 60 degrees. Thanks.

I have a spring fed pond and did what George recommends and it works.

I use enzymes, snails, marginal plants and oxygenator plants. I am
adding an aeration system since I noted (smelled) some anaerobic
bacteria this spring.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6