Old 16-03-2005, 06:39 AM
George

Default String Algae Update

"Otto Pylot" wrote in message
Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions that were given.

Quite a few of you suggested that we remove the rocks from our pond.
However, that was something that we were not willing to do, at least
not at this point in time, we like the natural look. So we looked
around for safe alternatives. We settled on a compound called AlgaeFix
from PondCare. It has worked very well, at least in our case. The pond
is about 1200 gal so we just followed the directions. It cleared up
almost overnight, with no detrimental effects on the fish or plants. We
will continue to follow the initial directions and then see what
happens. We've also installed two small barley bales in the top of the
waterfall as maintenance.

I'm not particularly fond of puttting chemicals in my pond but the
string algae was getting out of hand and this seems safe for the fish
etc. If anything negative happens, I'll certainly let you all know but
so far, so good.

--
Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.

My address has been anti-spammed.
Please reply to: replacing invalid with sonic.

What you've done is killed the string algae, and allowed it to decompose on the
bottom, where it will add to the nutrient load. So eventually, your string algae
will return, perhaps with a vengence. Be sure to add beneficial bacetia to the
water. A product such as aquazyme has worked well for me. The bacteria in this
product competes directly with string and pea soup algae for the nutrients they
need to survive. And as the algae die, the bacteira will eat it, preventing
sludge build up in your pond. If you use this or a similar product, it may take
a little longer (perhaps up to a month) to rid your pond of the problem, but
your pond will be much healthier that it will by simply killing the algae with
an algacide. Algacide is also detrimental to any aquatic plants you may have in
your pond. The barley straw is a good addition, but if you use it, I recommend
that you add aeration to the water. Additional oxygenation will aid the action
of the barley straw. Another good addition to reduce the mutrient load is to
add more aquatic plants.

Old 17-03-2005, 07:03 AM
George

"Otto Pylot" wrote in message
In article 0xQZd.137584$tl3.115346@attbi_s02, George
wrote:

"Otto Pylot" wrote in message
Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions that were given.

snip

[...]

Thanks for the input. We have been raking out what algae we can and the
bottom seems very clear. We do have a very vigorous waterfall 24/7 and
the plants and fish are healthy so all is well. I do add enzymes every
two weeks (even though the water temp now is below recommended). I
just added the second treatment so we'll see what happens. So far, so
good.

Good luck.

Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.

Moo: That is utterly ridiculous.

Old 24-03-2005, 06:10 AM
Crashj

On or about 17 Mar 2005 22:39:04 -0600, Otto Pylot
wrote something like:
wrote:
"Otto Pylot" wrote in message
Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions that were given.
Thanks for the input. We have been raking out what algae we can and the
bottom seems very clear.

Good luck.
Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.

Moo: That is utterly ridiculous.

Don't you mean "udderly"? :-)

No flies growing on your pies!
--
Crashj
Old 31-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Ridge Roofing, Inc.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 06:39:57 GMT, "George"
wrote:

"Otto Pylot" wrote in message
d...
[...]

Are there any temperature restrictions for this product? My pond is
spring fed and even in August rarely gets above 60 degrees. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Stephen Henning

You've killed the string algae, and allowed it to decompose on the
bottom, where it adds to the nutrient load. Eventually, your string algae
will return, perhaps with a vengence. Add beneficial bacetia to the
water. Aquazyme has worked well for me. The bacteria in this
product competes with string and pea soup algae for the nutrients they
need to survive. As the algae die, the bacteira will eat it, preventing
sludge build up in your pond. If you use these products, it may take
a little longer (perhaps up to a month) to rid your pond of the problem, but
your pond will be much healthier that it will by killing the algae with
an algacide. Algacide is detrimental to any aquatic plants you may have in

"Ridge Roofing, Inc." wrote:

Are there any temperature restrictions for this product? My pond is
spring fed and even in August rarely gets above 60 degrees. Thanks.

I have a spring fed pond and did what George recommends and it works.

I use enzymes, snails, marginal plants and oxygenator plants. I am
adding an aeration system since I noted (smelled) some anaerobic
bacteria this spring.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6