Old 05-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Rastislav Kralovic

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 11:35, Steve Parr wrote:
Did anyone dig one of the "Big" European hornbeams?

I was lucky enough to have the "privilege" of digging one. Must have taken
an hour or so before Jim and some others started to help me get it moving
out of the ground. It still took probably 45 min before we had it b&b.

Could you share some experience with Eur. hornbeams? There are some of them
around my place with a nice trunk base, but they are quite big and could be
possibly dug only with few roots remaining. I have been experimenting with
some small specimens recently and it seems they can survive with quite a few
feeder roots, but I'd appreciate some comments about bigger plants.

Another thing is how they respond to trunk chops. Do they bud back readily?

I like the species, but found only brief information about digging/initial
styling in the books/web pages I have read.

Thanks,
Rastslav

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++