Old 04-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Corcoran. Bil

Default [IBC] susquehanna bonsai club dig

Well we lucked out on weather for the dig. Despite the rainy (and
snowy) ride down it was dry all day, and only after we unloaded our
trees did it snow and hail. It was a fun day and those of us who rode
up and back in the truck have the bruises to prove it. It was nice
meeting you both and thanks to Jim Doyle for putting on another
wonderful event.

wmcorcor

== Anita and I will be at the dig on Sunday at Nature' s Way outside of
== Harrisburg. The weather should be clearing by then, although it
will
== probably still be muddy. We'll look forward to seeing some IBC
members
== there.
==
== Craig Cowing
== NY
== Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 05-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Steve Parr

Old 05-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Rastislav Kralovic

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 11:35, Steve Parr wrote:
Did anyone dig one of the "Big" European hornbeams?

I was lucky enough to have the "privilege" of digging one. Must have taken
an hour or so before Jim and some others started to help me get it moving
out of the ground. It still took probably 45 min before we had it b&b.

Could you share some experience with Eur. hornbeams? There are some of them
around my place with a nice trunk base, but they are quite big and could be
possibly dug only with few roots remaining. I have been experimenting with
some small specimens recently and it seems they can survive with quite a few
feeder roots, but I'd appreciate some comments about bigger plants.

Another thing is how they respond to trunk chops. Do they bud back readily?

I like the species, but found only brief information about digging/initial
styling in the books/web pages I have read.

Thanks,
Rastslav

Old 05-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Craig Cowing

On Apr 5, 2005, at 11:35 AM, Steve Parr wrote:

snip

Craig,

Did anyone dig one of the "Big" European hornbeams?

I was lucky enough to have the "privilege" of digging one. Must have
taken an hour or so before Jim and some others started to help me get
it moving out of the ground. It still took probably 45 min before we
had it b&b.

It should be in leaf in a few weeks, I'll try and post some pics.

Steve Parr

I didn't see a big one come out this year. A couple of smaller ones
actually. Last year, though, a really big one came out--6"base, the
works.

Old 05-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Michael Persiano

Rastslav:

Hornbeams with large trunks (6 inches and more in diameter) do not respond well from an artistic perspective to trunk chops. Will they bud back at the chop site? Absolutely. However, the problem with the large wound is that 99 percents of these trees always fails to suitably heal.

The US was flooded with poorly executed trunk-chopped Carpinus imported from Japan 10 years ago. While the trunks were attractive, the flat top cut swith apices looked quite odd.

If it seems to good to be true in bonsai culture, it usually is. My Hornbeam that appeared in Bonsai Today under American Bonsai (issue 94) is the result of nearly 17 years of intense work. I am still working on the healing of 1 inch wounds from the original styling.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob
[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: