Old 05-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Jim Lewis

Mary is here, and Craig is "there." There's a huge difference
in the growing season, which will determine how much root to
chop off. Dow here, you can dig them with almost NO root; I
wouldn't do that up here.

A 3 inch base on a five foot tree sounds like flat top style to
me. You will want to develop a WIDE shallow root system -- base
flaring almost like the bell of a trumpet, but more abruptly,
perhaps with a root or two folded up to represent "knees.". A 6-
inch-deep, 12-inch diameter pot probably should suit, with the
roots spread out around the trunk.

As for the "need" for more moisture, they'll appreciate it, but
if there is sufficient organic material in the soil (2/3 organic
1/3 inorganic) there's no great need to keep them wet.

Where did this tree overwinter?

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you (that) the berries
are just about all gone. -- Uncle Dave Macon, musician

I was just at Mary Madison's where she has tons of collected cypresses. the
ones she has recently potted are in 8-10 inch deep pots. R Kessler In
Vermont, where it snowed yesterday.

I bought a bald cypress on special last fall--$15. It was about 8 ft
high but I cut it back to about 5 ft. The base is about 3". It's
potbound in a 3 gallon nursery pot and I'd like to put it in a box or a
flatter container of some kind. How much of the root ball can I cut off
and be safe? Would it be better off in a deeper container with the need
for a higher level of moisture? Thanks.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++