Old 05-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] bald cypress repotting

I bought a bald cypress on special last fall--$15. It was about 8 ft
high but I cut it back to about 5 ft. The base is about 3". It's
potbound in a 3 gallon nursery pot and I'd like to put it in a box or a
flatter container of some kind. How much of the root ball can I cut off
and be safe? Would it be better off in a deeper container with the need
for a higher level of moisture? Thanks.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Rodger.Kessler

I was just at Mary Madison's where she has tons of collected cypresses. the
ones she has recently potted are in 8-10 inch deep pots. R Kessler In
Vermont, where it snowed yesterday.

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 05-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Jim Lewis

Mary is here, and Craig is "there." There's a huge difference
in the growing season, which will determine how much root to
chop off. Dow here, you can dig them with almost NO root; I
wouldn't do that up here.

A 3 inch base on a five foot tree sounds like flat top style to
me. You will want to develop a WIDE shallow root system -- base
flaring almost like the bell of a trumpet, but more abruptly,
perhaps with a root or two folded up to represent "knees.". A 6-
inch-deep, 12-inch diameter pot probably should suit, with the
roots spread out around the trunk.

As for the "need" for more moisture, they'll appreciate it, but
if there is sufficient organic material in the soil (2/3 organic
1/3 inorganic) there's no great need to keep them wet.

Where did this tree overwinter?

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you (that) the berries
are just about all gone. -- Uncle Dave Macon, musician

Old 05-04-2005, 07:02 PM
igglebix

You actually keep more moisture in a shallow pot if you rewater more
frequently. This is due to water wicking in the substrate. a deep pot
concentrates the water in the lower third or so away from the top of
the pot. A shallow does the same think, but the water level is nearer
the top.

Old 05-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Craig Cowing

On Apr 5, 2005, at 1:48 PM, Jim Lewis wrote:

Mary is here, and Craig is "there." There's a huge difference
in the growing season, which will determine how much root to
chop off. Dow here, you can dig them with almost NO root; I
wouldn't do that up here.

Definitely not.
A 3 inch base on a five foot tree sounds like flat top style to
me.

That first chop was so I could get it in the car. I'm thinking about
cutting it shorter, actually. I had thought about formal upright with
a lightning strike top. Right now it has no branches on the usable part
so it's wide open.

You will want to develop a WIDE shallow root system -- base
flaring almost like the bell of a trumpet, but more abruptly,
perhaps with a root or two folded up to represent "knees.". A 6-
inch-deep, 12-inch diameter pot probably should suit, with the
roots spread out around the trunk.

OK. I'll think about that.
As for the "need" for more moisture, they'll appreciate it, but
if there is sufficient organic material in the soil (2/3 organic
1/3 inorganic) there's no great need to keep them wet.

Where did this tree overwinter?

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

It wintered over in a protected area in the front of the house behind a
retaining wall and in front of the foundation. It's basically below
ground level with good wind protection. It survived a number of nights
below zero, including the seasonal record of -18. I was surprised,
frankly.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Concerning a Bald Cypress trunk chop Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 0 12-01-2005 05:24 AM
[IBC] Watering Willow and Bald Cypress Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 7 24-12-2003 06:42 PM
[IBC] Bald Cypress randi sharp Bonsai 2 14-07-2003 06:32 AM
[IBC] Bald Cypress chop timing audgen Bonsai 2 13-04-2003 02:44 PM
[IBC] Pruning Bald Cypress seedlings Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 05-03-2003 09:52 PM