Old 05-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Michael Persiano

Rastslav:

Hornbeams with large trunks (6 inches and more in diameter) do not respond well from an artistic perspective to trunk chops. Will they bud back at the chop site? Absolutely. However, the problem with the large wound is that 99 percents of these trees always fails to suitably heal.

The US was flooded with poorly executed trunk-chopped Carpinus imported from Japan 10 years ago. While the trunks were attractive, the flat top cut swith apices looked quite odd.

If it seems to good to be true in bonsai culture, it usually is. My Hornbeam that appeared in Bonsai Today under American Bonsai (issue 94) is the result of nearly 17 years of intense work. I am still working on the healing of 1 inch wounds from the original styling.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob