Old 05-04-2005, 05:09 PM
MM

On 4 Apr 2005 11:22:31 -0700, (ken cohen)
wrote:

MM wrote in message

Why the hassle? Grass seed germinates when it is just sown, period. I
have seen it done, and have done it myself, too many times to know how
this works, as if by magic. Seems like some people just have an urge
to make life harder than it really is.

I think the attraction of the idea is not having to worry about the
birds. Last year, most of my grass seed definitely disappeared that
way after being sown direct. And netting is a nuisance.

Isn't it possible to buy grass seed that contains a bird deterrent?

I'm about to sow my brand-new lawn with cheapo seed from Wilkinson -
the sort that you bag yourself - and having done it before in Bucks
with excellent results I hope this time, too, to have a lawn within a
couple of years. We'll just have to see whether the birds are a
problem up here in the Fens.

MM