Old 05-04-2005, 08:53 PM
ned

"Richard Kerry" wrote in message
Hi there,

I am new to the pond world (complete beginner so please excuse my

ignorance)
as I recently moved and inherited a 11ft * 11ft * 2ft pond full with

about a
dozen or so Koi carp, largest fish about 16 inches in length. The

pump has
given up and the filter seemed permanently clogged up, even after

cleaning
the internal (pads) every week. I have also noticed that the pond

has a lot
of "silt" in it even though the water is clean, it currently has a

UV box
which now doesn't work as the pump is not working.

I'm not a Koi boy, so will leave these aspects to experts.
Re your 'given up' pump, if the filter pads were well and truly
clogged, I'd be inclined to try a bit of pump maintenance. I have a
submerged Cyprio pump, must be over 15 years old, and it slows down
every so often, maybe twice a year. All I do with that is to switch
the power off (!!!), haul it out and separate the two sections (a
quarter turn action). One section has a sealed plain disc which clogs
up with dirty brown slimy gunge. Scrub that off with a stiff brush
(not a wire brush), make sure all the moving parts move freely (it's
amazing how much pond weed can wind itself around the impellor),
replace all parts (including the rubber ring washer - how many times
have I lost that). Resubmerge. Switch back on. Allow the header tank
to refill - and away she goes, .... hopefully.
And re sludge removal, don't be too fastidious. A bit o' sludge never
harmed anything. It will contain lots of natural pond life that will
help to keep the pond clean and fresh! A natural balance is what you
are after, not a biological desert.
'Best of luck.

--
ned