Old 06-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Peter H

There are different types of grubs with different lifecycles. They
eventually pupate into a Junebug ( or something similar ) and fly off to
bother someone else. Some only survive one year as a grub and some live for
up to 3 years. The winter is very unlikely to affect them. Some studies have
shown that they burrow down below the frost line, others have shown that
they can freeze over the winter and come alive again in the spring.

They feed almost exclusively on the roots of grass plants. I've heard of
them dining on the roots of a few other plants, but never a tree.

Merit should be laid down just prior to the new grubs hatching. They hatch
from eggs dropped on the lawn from adult junebugs etc. This date varies
depending on where you live and the type of grub bothering you. Here in
Canada only licensed technicians can purchase this product. I believe that
the States are more liberal.

Peter H

"Mike" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply....one question though...do grubs die during the
winter? in other words...if I try the Merit now to prevent new grubs,
will that basically cover my issue or is it a once they start you
can't stop em type deal? Also, do they hurt trees? I found some
last year in a burn we have out back with Leylands in it. (Ok..that
was more then one question..sorry).

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:38:34 -0400, "Peter H"
wrote:

Merit is a great product to prevent a grub infestation... unfortunately

it
does not affect a mature grub. I my experience there has been nothing on

the
market that is very effective against mature grubs when applied according

the label, which I would never recommend exceeding. There is another way

get rid of the mature ones though and you may have accidentally done

it...
you starve 'em to death. Once they've taken all the roots there are to

eat
they will have nothing left to feed on.