Old 05-04-2005, 10:35 PM
Mike

Default Grub prevention/treatment?

Live in NJ and spring seems to be here. At the end of last summer, we
noticed a grub problem where a big patch of our lawn was dead...had to
rake it all out (grubs were abundant) and reseed the area. Any
suggestions on how to prevent this from occuring again? Are there any
prevention treatments that work well?
Old 05-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Peter H

"Mike" wrote in message
Live in NJ and spring seems to be here. At the end of last summer, we
noticed a grub problem where a big patch of our lawn was dead...had to
rake it all out (grubs were abundant) and reseed the area. Any
suggestions on how to prevent this from occuring again? Are there any
prevention treatments that work well?

Merit is a great product to prevent a grub infestation... unfortunately it
does not affect a mature grub. I my experience there has been nothing on the
market that is very effective against mature grubs when applied according to
the label, which I would never recommend exceeding. There is another way to
get rid of the mature ones though and you may have accidentally done it...
you starve 'em to death. Once they've taken all the roots there are to eat
they will have nothing left to feed on.

Peter H

Old 06-04-2005, 12:22 AM
Mike

Thanks for the reply....one question though...do grubs die during the
winter? in other words...if I try the Merit now to prevent new grubs,
will that basically cover my issue or is it a once they start you
can't stop em type deal? Also, do they hurt trees? I found some
last year in a burn we have out back with Leylands in it. (Ok..that
was more then one question..sorry).

Old 06-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Peter H

There are different types of grubs with different lifecycles. They
eventually pupate into a Junebug ( or something similar ) and fly off to
bother someone else. Some only survive one year as a grub and some live for
up to 3 years. The winter is very unlikely to affect them. Some studies have
shown that they burrow down below the frost line, others have shown that
they can freeze over the winter and come alive again in the spring.

They feed almost exclusively on the roots of grass plants. I've heard of
them dining on the roots of a few other plants, but never a tree.

Merit should be laid down just prior to the new grubs hatching. They hatch
from eggs dropped on the lawn from adult junebugs etc. This date varies
depending on where you live and the type of grub bothering you. Here in
Canada only licensed technicians can purchase this product. I believe that
the States are more liberal.

Peter H

Old 06-04-2005, 03:27 PM
- Tom -

"Mike" wrote in message
Live in NJ and spring seems to be here. At the end of last summer, we
noticed a grub problem where a big patch of our lawn was dead...had to
rake it all out (grubs were abundant) and reseed the area. Any
suggestions on how to prevent this from occuring again? Are there any
prevention treatments that work well?

I agree with Peter H. Merit works very well. It's very important to
apply the product at the right stage, or instar, of the grubs' life cycle.
See your coop extension agent or read up on Merit from its manufacturer.
A combination of nematodes and pesticide works, too, according to
http://extension.osu.edu/~news/story.php?id=2152.
Also,
http://www.umassturf.org/mangement_u...ve/04jul15.htm.
You likely have several different types of grubs munching your lawn's
roots. The only reliable way to differentiate between them is to grab a
magnifying glass and check for certain things like the arrangement of
particular hairs on its body. Too involved for a layman that just wants a
better lawn.

--
Tom

Old 15-04-2005, 10:32 PM
Justbrilliant

my whole front yard in NJ (which I have seeded many times) is dead from
grubs and then moles. It was a nightmare last fall. I laid a flashlight
on the ground at night and have a major network of moles going in every
direction. The molehills this spring are big, like 6" across. The rain
exposes the hole, which is 3" It amazes me how they go for the only
patches of grass left.

I thinking of the electrocution method. Flooding their hiways with the
hose, and then zapping 'em. If they come above ground, my dog will get
them.

Anybody know how a CURRENT to CUBIC FT ratio? Maybe use my car battery
with a couple of jumper cables / with ribar stakes? Moving along a few
feet at a time, flushing them in one direction with electric current. Or
possibly rounding them up by circling in on them?

I have tried Merit, Scotts Grub Mix, Home Depot Grub mix, Mole poison,
mole traps, my Shephard goes after them, but he is not always successful.
After he is done, it is a real mess. When he catches one, he regurgitates
it at my feet. (good boy)

I have very little grass left. mostly dust.

"- Tom -" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Stag beetle grub or white grub? kenty;\) United Kingdom 3 20-06-2006 02:56 PM
Grub Worms Prevention Treatment GoHorns Gardening 3 30-11-2004 05:05 PM
Algae Prevention Broomhilda Ponds 19 15-02-2004 06:27 PM
Mosquito Prevention. JNJ Gardening 12 08-06-2003 11:20 AM
grub control - spring and summer treatment needed? Rene Wong Lawns 12 10-05-2003 09:56 PM