Old 06-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Richard Kerry

Hi Bob,

Thanks again....so, how do I configure a workable filters, UV & Grundfos
pumps combination?

How do I know which pump would be suitable for a pond my size today and
tommorow? If I went down the Grundfos route how do I know if the pump is
suitable, what am I looking for when I speak with the plumbing chaps?

If I decided not to use the pressurised system, how would I configure a
filter (standard box type), UV & Grundfos pump setup? How many gph/lph for
the pump to process? What size UV, presumably installed in line??

You also mention that the pump needs to be below water level? Does this mean
below the water line or below the bottom of the pond? Either way it would
seem that I would have to dig a (waterproofed) hole for installation? And
what about connectors? And checking the Grundfos web site won't this pump be
affected by

Apologies for so many questions, yet again! The more I learn the more I
realise the more I need to learn...........

kind regards,
Richard

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Richard Kerry" wrote .
Many thanks for all the useful advice, now I have even more questions I'm
afraid! The pond we inherited is about 7 years old so the "Koi" seem to
have been ok in their existing environment, longer term (end of 05) I'd
like to dig the pond out so the advice I need is to get the appropriate
pump and filters that will work today and also in the future.

Where do I get a CH pump from? Do I need a CH pump for heating and an
ordinary pump for the filters? Is a CH pump energy effecient as I've seen
some inexpensive (aka cheap) pumps running crazy currents so NOT a good
idea 24/7.

You get a Central Heating (Grundfos) pump from any good plumbers merchant
that sells radiators etc. and although some koi keepers do heat their
ponds a bit in the winter it isn't necessary. I and others use a CH pump
for the filters.
Yes a central heating pump is very efficient, probably the most efficient
type of pump.
This is the sort of thing http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/348-195

Also, if I got for the system I indicated on my orgininal post I wonder
whether using an standard box filter with the EcoClear 18000 would work
as the EcoClear is a pressurised system or would that make no difference?

Put it after the pressurised filter and it will "polish" the water making
it crystal clear. If you go down the CH pump route you need to discuss
with the plumbers merchant what pump you need to give you the pressure (or
head) to run your "pressurised" filter, but what's the advantage of the
pressure filter over the sort you already have? The water has to have time
in the filter for the bacteria to work, pumping it through at speed will
not work.

Can I also get new materials for my existing filter should I wish to
continue using it?

Yes you can, either from an aquatic shop like the one whose URL I already
mentioned or get some Filter Foam from a foam shop, but wash it thoroughly
before use.

--
Regards
Bob