Old 06-04-2005, 05:39 PM
BenignVanilla

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
oups.com...
I remember years ago, someone posted plans for a filter that fit on the
end of a garden hose to remove chlorine and/or ammonia as you fill your
pond. Does anyone remeber that and still know how to make one, or
remeber some keywords for searching?
I tried running the hose through a mesh bag filled w/zeolite and
charcoal sitting in the middle of a Leerio planter, which would then
run over into the pond. The planter was sitting on my plant shelf, so
as not to lose any water. It didn't do a bit of good. The idea was to
run the water through the filter material and then have it pool up so
as to increase exposure time to the charcoal and zeolite, before it ran
into the pond. I know that maybe the problem was that I don't have a
good understanding of how that product works. I never had to deal with
this before.

Since it will be difficult to monitor, and over time the filter could become
saturated, I suggest you instead treat water manually. I don't like auto
anything when it comes to my critters, but that's just my 2 cents.

There are plenty of treatment products on the market, http://ihmp.net/@/wu.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com