Old 06-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Ann in Houston

Default long-time rec.ponders: hose filter to remove ammonia

I remember years ago, someone posted plans for a filter that fit on the
end of a garden hose to remove chlorine and/or ammonia as you fill your
pond. Does anyone remeber that and still know how to make one, or
remeber some keywords for searching?
I tried running the hose through a mesh bag filled w/zeolite and
charcoal sitting in the middle of a Leerio planter, which would then
run over into the pond. The planter was sitting on my plant shelf, so
as not to lose any water. It didn't do a bit of good. The idea was to
run the water through the filter material and then have it pool up so
as to increase exposure time to the charcoal and zeolite, before it ran
into the pond. I know that maybe the problem was that I don't have a
good understanding of how that product works. I never had to deal with
this before.

Old 06-04-2005, 05:50 AM
Wendy in NCa

Hi Ann,
Long time since I've been here! Hadn't you moved away from Houston?
Anyway, it might have been my post? When I had city water with
chlorimine in it, I used to attach a water filter to the end of my
garden hose and just let it trickle through the filter to add water.
Not the cheapest solution, but I hated adding chemicals and having to
guess at how much to chemical to add unless I was willing to measure
how many gallons I had added, etc. Here is a link to a similar filter:
http://tinyurl.com/65e5h

Wendy in N. CA.

Old 06-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Ann in Houston

No, Wendy, I didn't move, I just went through a ponding downturn for a
bit where my new (at the time) pond was no fun to write about due to
several problems that I couldn't get under control. I went to the
address you gave me. I didn't see the filter, but I'll go try again.
I'll let you know if I can't find it. Do you think it woud work to
just remove ammonia? I don't have chlorrine.

Old 06-04-2005, 04:43 PM
kathy

Chuck Rush made one out of an under the sink
filter. You can put adapters on the top of it to attach
to a garden hose. The replaceable filter should be
changed once a year. Let me see if I can pull up
his page address from google...
http://www.pondrushes.net/
and the filter is here

Not sure what all it would work on but the unit that
you buy at the store would say what it filters out.

When I add water I use the filter and I let it go out
very slowly and find a rock to run it over (just because
I'm sure, and I have, will forget it is running...) so far,
knock wood, I haven't had an incident with chlorine
poisoning.

Let us know if you build one and how it works!
kathy :-)

Old 06-04-2005, 05:29 PM
CanadianCowboy

Another option is just having big plastic of buckets filled with tap
water and letting it sit for a few days. This naturally eliminates the
chlorine.

Old 06-04-2005, 05:39 PM
BenignVanilla

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
oups.com...
I remember years ago, someone posted plans for a filter that fit on the
end of a garden hose to remove chlorine and/or ammonia as you fill your
pond. Does anyone remeber that and still know how to make one, or
remeber some keywords for searching?
I tried running the hose through a mesh bag filled w/zeolite and
charcoal sitting in the middle of a Leerio planter, which would then
run over into the pond. The planter was sitting on my plant shelf, so
as not to lose any water. It didn't do a bit of good. The idea was to
run the water through the filter material and then have it pool up so
as to increase exposure time to the charcoal and zeolite, before it ran
into the pond. I know that maybe the problem was that I don't have a
good understanding of how that product works. I never had to deal with
this before.

Since it will be difficult to monitor, and over time the filter could become
saturated, I suggest you instead treat water manually. I don't like auto
anything when it comes to my critters, but that's just my 2 cents.

There are plenty of treatment products on the market, http://ihmp.net/@/wu.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 06-04-2005, 06:28 PM
DKat

"kathy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Chuck Rush made one out of an under the sink
filter. You can put adapters on the top of it to attach
to a garden hose. The replaceable filter should be
changed once a year. Let me see if I can pull up
his page address from google...
http://www.pondrushes.net/
and the filter is here

Not sure what all it would work on but the unit that
you buy at the store would say what it filters out.

When I add water I use the filter and I let it go out
very slowly and find a rock to run it over (just because
I'm sure, and I have, will forget it is running...) so far,
knock wood, I haven't had an incident with chlorine
poisoning.

Let us know if you build one and how it works!
kathy :-)

I also fill up my pond by adding water VERY slowly. I actually set the hose
attachment to mist and set this over the pond so that the mist 'rains' into
the pond and flows in over rocks and plants. I can also leave for some time
without the risk of overflow occurring in a short time while my attention
was elsewhere . Yes it does take a couple of hours to top off my pond that
is down 1/2 foot but I don't see that as a problem.. I have been doing this
for years with no trouble and we live on Long Island where I'm fairly
confident they put nasty stuff in the water.

Old 06-04-2005, 11:30 PM
news group

DKat wrote:

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

I know what you mean, Kathy. That is the same process I use, except I
start in the veggie filter now. And if for some reason I think I simply
MUST add it directly to the pond, it can take 4 to 5 hours to 'top' it
off. So far, I have not notice a deleterious effect of any sort on fish
or plants. Sometimes the algae might seem to 'suffer' but nothing
serious. I actually look forward to topping off the pond this way now.
My next door neighbor (who got me started with ponding) will notice me
out and that usually leads to conversation and trading of info on our
little hobby. :-)

W. Dale
Wilmdale Pond - http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib

Old 07-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Ann in Houston

CanadianCowboy wrote:
Another option is just having big plastic of buckets filled with tap
water and letting it sit for a few days. This naturally eliminates

the
chlorine.

Cowboy,
Good idea, except that Chlorine isn't my problem. It's ammonia.
And, BV, treating my water manually consists of dumping 20.00 worth of
Amquel every time I top off my pond. There's gotta be a better way.
Since the sink filters have activated charcoal, I hoped that would
address the problem

Old 07-04-2005, 01:24 AM
Wendy in NCa

Hi Ann,
Sorry the link didn't work. Goto www.homedepot.com and type in a
search for 'whole house water filter' The price can vary from $39 to
$70 depending on where you buy it. Yes, it removed the
ammonia/chlorine mixture that was in our water. Before I used it, I
tested the water before it entered the filter and after. Just letting
the water age for a day or so doesn't work with chlorimine in the
water. Amazing to me that if we were to mix ammonia and chlorine
together it would cause a nasty gas and our water depts add that
mixture to the water?? San Jose had to add it because they were almost
at the legal limit of chlorine in the water and needed to add more, so
they switched to chlorimine...

Old 07-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Wendy in NCa

ps, I didn't mean to recommend HomeDepot, it's best to go to a local
hardware store so you can check the threading for the filter. You
might need a small adapter.

Old 07-04-2005, 02:42 AM
RichToyBox

Have you measured the ammonia level in the pond before and after water
changes? The filter will remove the ammonia, in most cases. I use Amquel
after a spawn, but not for routine water changes of up to 50% with water
treated with chloromine. The chlorine part that most of us are treating for
is bad for the filter as well as the fish, and some don't bother to treat
when they do 10% changes, because of dilution.
--
RichToyBox

Old 07-04-2005, 04:42 AM
Ann in Houston

Rich,
Well, I did measure the other day when I had to put in about seven
inches or so, when max gallons is 2200. That one did require addition
of the amquel. But, I didn't need to add more than a bottle. Checked
it later and it was ok.
Then, the other night, I was concerned about the UV because it is kinda
near the surface and it was threatening to be out of water by morning.
So, I had to add about four inches. That was two nights ago. I just
used fish behavior and fin redness or lack thereof to go by. I decided
to check it tonight for safety's sake and it was okay. I wonder if the
ammonia cotent rises and falls. It seems to me that if it was due to
fertilizer runoff from increased ag activity in the area, it would be
seasonal. I can't imagine how much fertilizer runoff it would take to
affect the whole water table for this area. What would be the correct
county office to ask about that? Of course, that might be pretty
risky, to get the county's attention. It can be a double edged sword.
anyway, I will be checking out the link to the filter by HD and the one
Kathy sent. Thanks,
Ann

Old 08-04-2005, 09:34 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Well, I did measure the other day when I had to put in about seven
inches or so, when max gallons is 2200. That one did require addition
of the amquel. But, I didn't need to add more than a bottle. Checked
it later and it was ok.

You're using liquid Amquel? That could be part of your price problem. Dry
form is cheaper to buy and ship. Another brand name is ChorAm-X, cheaper
than the Amquel brand.

www.aquaticeco.com is one place that sells both dry, I believe, worth
googling or foogling to find the cheapest price. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~