Old 06-04-2005, 11:30 PM
news group

DKat wrote:

"kathy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Chuck Rush made one out of an under the sink
filter. You can put adapters on the top of it to attach
to a garden hose. The replaceable filter should be
changed once a year. Let me see if I can pull up
his page address from google...
http://www.pondrushes.net/
and the filter is here

Not sure what all it would work on but the unit that
you buy at the store would say what it filters out.

When I add water I use the filter and I let it go out
very slowly and find a rock to run it over (just because
I'm sure, and I have, will forget it is running...) so far,
knock wood, I haven't had an incident with chlorine
poisoning.

Let us know if you build one and how it works!
kathy :-)

I also fill up my pond by adding water VERY slowly. I actually set the hose
attachment to mist and set this over the pond so that the mist 'rains' into
the pond and flows in over rocks and plants. I can also leave for some time
without the risk of overflow occurring in a short time while my attention
was elsewhere . Yes it does take a couple of hours to top off my pond that
is down 1/2 foot but I don't see that as a problem.. I have been doing this
for years with no trouble and we live on Long Island where I'm fairly
confident they put nasty stuff in the water.

I know what you mean, Kathy. That is the same process I use, except I
start in the veggie filter now. And if for some reason I think I simply
MUST add it directly to the pond, it can take 4 to 5 hours to 'top' it
off. So far, I have not notice a deleterious effect of any sort on fish
or plants. Sometimes the algae might seem to 'suffer' but nothing
serious. I actually look forward to topping off the pond this way now.
My next door neighbor (who got me started with ponding) will notice me
out and that usually leads to conversation and trading of info on our
little hobby. :-)

W. Dale
Wilmdale Pond - http://home.pcisys.net/~muaddib