Old 06-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Bob Hobden

"Richard Kerry" wrote
Can't see how having filters with no pump in front would draw the water
into them? If I went for the standard box filter setup this would be above
pond level so I would need some suction to push the water to the filter
box.....any ideas?

If your filter is at the same height as your pond then as the pump takes
clean water out of the end of the filter more pond water will flood in the
front. Water always finds it's own level. You may need a float switch to
stop the pump running dry if you allow the filter to block up.

This setup seems back to front to me or am I missing something obvious?

There is no reason why you can't put the pump next to the pond and pump the
dirty water into the filters which stand above the pond, clean water from
the other end will then overflow into the pond with a waterfall effect.
My pump is after the first bin (brushes) and it then pumps up to the first
of the foam filters when gravity moves the water through all three foam
filters back into the pond.
Only disadvantages are, you are pumping dirty water so the pump may clog up
and you would need another pump to run a venturi if you needed one.

Also, looking into the overall costs (could be quite similar as a complete
pump+filter kit+UV's @ circa £300) what are the benefits of this system?

The pump is more reliable and costs a lot less to run and less to buy. There
are some filter and UV combinations about without the pump. But, buying the
lot is easier as they should be matched to each other so you won't have to
worry.

--
Regards
Bob