Old 08-04-2005, 01:04 AM
Jon Maurer

In article ,
says...

Not in my experience it didn't work - and neither did the "Deer Off" spray -
or the scented soap - or the elephant and lion shit I actually got from a
traveling circus.

Talking of lion shit.....Last year I had good success by throwing a few
hundred pounds of Milorganite -
www.milorganite.com - around the
perimeter of the cultivated area of my property (this means throwing the
stuff into the woods just off my lawns, flower beds, shrubs, trees,
etc.). Milorganite is made from human sewage sludge in Milwaukee (not
sure if from other places too now, but that's where it was invented).
It's dried, pelletized, and easy to use. Carried at lots of places,
including Home Depot.

Apparently, the deer don't like the smell of human waste (nor do I but
it has very little odor I can detect) and they stay away. It certainly
has worked for me and I know for others. My day and asiatic lillies, as
well as the tulips and daffs before them, bloomed as they were supposed
to rather than being eaten (every last one of them!) just as they were
about to flower the year before.

And it isn't because the deer have gone away - I know they're still
around here because I sometimes see them in the evenings.

I do hope it wasn't a fluke -- I'll be spreading again in the next few
weeks.

Jon (Southern NH)