Old 05-04-2005, 01:07 AM
Srgnt Billko

Default re (spray) Deer Problem

"Rolling Thunder" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:51:09 GMT, "Winston Smith"
wrote:

How can I keep the deer from destroying my landscape? Are there any

methods
known to man that will keep them out of my plants? Are there some nice
looking plants that they will not eat? Any rational ideas would be

greatly
appreciated. Thanks!

Go to your local barbershop and collect the hair and spread it around
the yard. There are sprays that you can put on plants that will give
a bad taste. I think these last for about 4 weeks and then have to be
redone. Hair would do the trick though.

Thunder

Not in my experience it didn't work - and neither did the "Deer Off" spray -
or the scented soap - or the elephant and lion shit I actually got from a
traveling circus.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:01 AM
William W. Plummer

wrote:

How can I keep the deer from destroying my landscape? Are there any

methods

known to man that will keep them out of my plants? Are there some nice
looking plants that they will not eat? Any rational ideas would be

greatly

appreciated. Thanks!

Go to your local barbershop and collect the hair and spread it around
the yard. There are sprays that you can put on plants that will give
a bad taste. I think these last for about 4 weeks and then have to be
redone. Hair would do the trick though.

Thunder

Not in my experience it didn't work - and neither did the "Deer Off" spray -
or the scented soap - or the elephant and lion shit I actually got from a
traveling circus.

A friend recommended a spray, something like "Deer Away", but not "Deer
Off". It seemed to work at the end of last year but it certainly had
warn off a few days ago. There were 8 deer in the back yard and one
was chowing down on an expensive rhododendron.

This morning brought a dozen wild turkeys. The males were fanning
their tails and I think the females were smiling. At least they don't
seem to eat anything.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:54 AM
Chas Hurst

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
Srgnt Billko wrote:

This morning brought a dozen wild turkeys. The males were fanning
their tails and I think the females were smiling. At least they don't
seem to eat anything.

I returned from a vacation to find much of a recently planted flower bed
strewn across the lawn by scratching turkeys.
A friend shoots a few every year in his backyard. They're not as
destructive as as deer and much easier to dress out.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:47 AM
Rosscoe

Bowhunting is the best and most efficient way to reduce damage done by deer.
You can get DMAP tags from your local game warden and they can be used
year-round.

Rosscoe

Old 08-04-2005, 01:04 AM
Jon Maurer

In article ,
says...

Not in my experience it didn't work - and neither did the "Deer Off" spray -
or the scented soap - or the elephant and lion shit I actually got from a
traveling circus.

Talking of lion shit.....Last year I had good success by throwing a few
hundred pounds of Milorganite -
www.milorganite.com - around the
perimeter of the cultivated area of my property (this means throwing the
stuff into the woods just off my lawns, flower beds, shrubs, trees,
etc.). Milorganite is made from human sewage sludge in Milwaukee (not
sure if from other places too now, but that's where it was invented).
It's dried, pelletized, and easy to use. Carried at lots of places,
including Home Depot.

Apparently, the deer don't like the smell of human waste (nor do I but
it has very little odor I can detect) and they stay away. It certainly
has worked for me and I know for others. My day and asiatic lillies, as
well as the tulips and daffs before them, bloomed as they were supposed
to rather than being eaten (every last one of them!) just as they were
about to flower the year before.

And it isn't because the deer have gone away - I know they're still
around here because I sometimes see them in the evenings.

I do hope it wasn't a fluke -- I'll be spreading again in the next few
weeks.

Jon (Southern NH)

Old 08-04-2005, 03:01 AM
colt Steele

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 20:04:18 -0400, Jon Maurer
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Just take all your buddies out for Mexican and a few beers........

Then all go out to the edge of the yard and shit all over the place.

Male bonding thing.......

Karcherpower washer spray problem OhNo United Kingdom 19 28-06-2006 07:28 PM
deer problem Chas Hurst Lawns 9 08-04-2005 02:17 AM
Deer Problem Winston Smith Lawns 15 04-04-2005 08:29 PM
Are Deer a Problem in Your Area? Jeff Napier Gardening 0 16-07-2003 06:04 AM
RFI: Sprinkler for deer problem? Andyd Texas 3 25-04-2003 07:08 PM