Old 08-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote ...

I was in Stuttgart University and I saw a couple of small trees that
I am completely baffled by. They had a growth habit rather like a
hamamelis, no leaves, and little (1") globular bunches of yellow
flowers surrounding the twigs. There were about a dozen flowers in
ball, with 4 petals, 4 stamens and a very prominent ovary, and were
c. 1/4" across and a similar length (slightly tubular). It is very
possible that the ovary wasn't one, of course, but just looked like
one.

Was this in a cool greenhouse or in the open? I ask as I've seen a similar
plant in the cool greenhouse at the Savill Garden but can't remember it's
name. I do remember it had a strong scent.
Will go and have a look if I get time tomorrow.

Thanks. It was in the open, so has to be fully hardy.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.