Old 07-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default What is this tree?

I was in Stuttgart University and I saw a couple of small trees that
I am completely baffled by. They had a growth habit rather like a
hamamelis, no leaves, and little (1") globular bunches of yellow
flowers surrounding the twigs. There were about a dozen flowers in
ball, with 4 petals, 4 stamens and a very prominent ovary, and were
c. 1/4" across and a similar length (slightly tubular). It is very
possible that the ovary wasn't one, of course, but just looked like
one.

I ought to be able to make a guess at the family, but can't. Any
ideas of species, genus or family?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Bob Hobden

"Nick Maclaren" wrote ...

I was in Stuttgart University and I saw a couple of small trees that
I am completely baffled by. They had a growth habit rather like a
hamamelis, no leaves, and little (1") globular bunches of yellow
flowers surrounding the twigs. There were about a dozen flowers in
ball, with 4 petals, 4 stamens and a very prominent ovary, and were
c. 1/4" across and a similar length (slightly tubular). It is very
possible that the ovary wasn't one, of course, but just looked like
one.

I ought to be able to make a guess at the family, but can't. Any
ideas of species, genus or family?

Was this in a cool greenhouse or in the open? I ask as I've seen a similar
plant in the cool greenhouse at the Savill Garden but can't remember it's
name. I do remember it had a strong scent.
Will go and have a look if I get time tomorrow.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 08-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote ...

I was in Stuttgart University and I saw a couple of small trees that
I am completely baffled by. They had a growth habit rather like a
hamamelis, no leaves, and little (1") globular bunches of yellow
flowers surrounding the twigs. There were about a dozen flowers in
ball, with 4 petals, 4 stamens and a very prominent ovary, and were
c. 1/4" across and a similar length (slightly tubular). It is very
possible that the ovary wasn't one, of course, but just looked like
one.

Was this in a cool greenhouse or in the open? I ask as I've seen a similar
plant in the cool greenhouse at the Savill Garden but can't remember it's
name. I do remember it had a strong scent.
Will go and have a look if I get time tomorrow.

Thanks. It was in the open, so has to be fully hardy.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

I was wondering about cornus mas. Or possibly fothergilla, whose
flowers are not very round or yellow like Nick's description but the
form is similar to hamamelis. Both are hardy outside.

Cornus mas it is! Thanks. I didn't know that one, and didn't realise
how different it was from the 'flowering dogwoods'.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Kay

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

I was wondering about cornus mas. Or possibly fothergilla, whose
flowers are not very round or yellow like Nick's description but the
form is similar to hamamelis. Both are hardy outside.

Cornus mas it is! Thanks. I didn't know that one, and didn't realise
how different it was from the 'flowering dogwoods'.

grin that was my first thought, but I thought 'No, Nick'll know that!'
;-)

By flowering dogwoods, do you mean all the ones with big white bracts?
How similar is it to Cornus alba, for example? (I'm not particularly
overwhelmed by dogwoods so haven't inspected mine minutely)
--
Kay

Old 08-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay writes:

| grin that was my first thought, but I thought 'No, Nick'll know that!'
| ;-)

I have my fair share of human failings :-)

| By flowering dogwoods, do you mean all the ones with big white bracts?

Yes. Some gardening books refer to them as the flowering dogwoods,
to distinguish them from C. alba, mas etc. - which is botanical
nonsense, but so are many other terms.

| How similar is it to Cornus alba, for example? (I'm not particularly
| overwhelmed by dogwoods so haven't inspected mine minutely)

I don't know, because I am not a great fan, either, and don't grow
them or inspect them in detail when passing through gardens.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:24 AM
Tim Challenger

On 8 Apr 2005 08:01:13 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Thanks. It was in the open, so has to be fully hardy.

You can say that again if it was in Stuttgart. I remember the daytime temps
not going above -15C for over 3 weeks one winter 1986-ish.
--
Tim C.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Bob Hobden

"Janet Baraclough" wrote after "Bob Hobden" replied

"Nick Maclaren" wrote ...

I was in Stuttgart University and I saw a couple of small trees that
I am completely baffled by. They had a growth habit rather like a
hamamelis, no leaves, and little (1") globular bunches of yellow
flowers surrounding the twigs. There were about a dozen flowers in
ball, with 4 petals, 4 stamens and a very prominent ovary, and were
c. 1/4" across and a similar length (slightly tubular). It is very
possible that the ovary wasn't one, of course, but just looked like
one.

I ought to be able to make a guess at the family, but can't. Any
ideas of species, genus or family?

Was this in a cool greenhouse or in the open? I ask as I've seen a
similar
plant in the cool greenhouse at the Savill Garden but can't remember it's
name. I do remember it had a strong scent.

Is the scented gh plant you're thinking of mimosa, Bob?
I was wondering about cornus mas. Or possibly fothergilla, whose
flowers are not very round or yellow like Nick's description but the
form is similar to hamamelis. Both are hardy outside.

No not a mimosa but as you have said what Nick asked I won't bother making a
trip there specially today.