Old 08-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Mike

For the new legislation, look here for info/sample complaint forms:
http://www.publications.odpm.gov.uk/...asp?pubid=1502

Basically it's not a simple 'loss of light' thing, but it's up to your
council to decide if your enjoyment of your garden is affected
unreasonably by the hedge. Let us know what happens...

best,
G.A.

Can you play on the damage to your building "I will contact my Building
Insurance Company"? and then let the write a letter to your neighbours.

I don't know about the roots of a Leylandii tree, but at my first house, the
people that backed up to me had a couple of Poplar trees at the bottom of
their garden. When I lifted the paving slabs which went straight up/down my
garden, which was 75 feet long, roots were within 10 feet of my house!!.
Agreed the houses were built in 1936 and this was 1960, but the point is
that as the slabs had lain unmoved for that period and assuming the trees
were planted when the house was new, those roots had shot up the garden at
the rate of 2 ft a year!!How far are these trees from your house?

Mike