Old 07-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Registered User

Default Leylandii hell!!

hello, I am a newbie, both on this site and to gardening. I have a long, narrow, northish facing garden in Kent, which is completly shadowed down one side by 2 neighbours leylandii trees. This means that I do not get any sunlight until late afternoon in the summer and not at all in the winter. My neighbours refuse to cut them, and although a new law comes in this year, I understand that access to light is not a good enough reason to have them cut back. The trees also mean that anything I have tried to plant near them either dies or does badly. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can plant that will thrive in their shade ? any help very much appreciated.
thanks
Old 07-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Bob

Hmmmm. If the trees have a branch near enough, or even a root, maybe a
little systemic herbicide? Other than that, just walk thru similar
areas with your camera and when you see something interesting shoot it.
Take the photo with you to your local nursery...

Bob in sunny Calif.

Old 07-04-2005, 11:26 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn
hello, I am a newbie, both on this site and to gardening. I have a long, narrow, northish facing garden in Kent, which is completly shadowed down one side by 2 neighbours leylandii trees. This means that I do not get any sunlight until late afternoon in the summer and not at all in the winter. My neighbours refuse to cut them, and although a new law comes in this year, I understand that access to light is not a good enough reason to have them cut back. The trees also mean that anything I have tried to plant near them either dies or does badly. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can plant that will thrive in their shade ? any help very much appreciated.
thanks
your neighbours refuse to cut them down..??.....2 solutions spring to mind....
1 prune the trees ....with a chainsaw with a single cut very low down and live with the consequences...in sunlight

2 find a nice herbicide ....and spray the trees every 3 weeks or so......some chemicals work better if applied as the sun is going down.

good luck !
Old 08-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Glen Able

Eyebright wrote:
lynn Wrote:

[...]

Hmmm, I recall a couple of recent cases where people have cut their
neighbour's hedge and are now facing 6 figure legal costs. (And in at
least 1 case the hedge has regrown).

For the new legislation, look here for info/sample complaint forms:
http://www.publications.odpm.gov.uk/...asp?pubid=1502

Basically it's not a simple 'loss of light' thing, but it's up to your
council to decide if your enjoyment of your garden is affected
unreasonably by the hedge. Let us know what happens...

best,
G.A.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Mike

For the new legislation, look here for info/sample complaint forms:
http://www.publications.odpm.gov.uk/...asp?pubid=1502

Basically it's not a simple 'loss of light' thing, but it's up to your
council to decide if your enjoyment of your garden is affected
unreasonably by the hedge. Let us know what happens...

best,
G.A.

Can you play on the damage to your building "I will contact my Building
Insurance Company"? and then let the write a letter to your neighbours.

I don't know about the roots of a Leylandii tree, but at my first house, the
people that backed up to me had a couple of Poplar trees at the bottom of
their garden. When I lifted the paving slabs which went straight up/down my
garden, which was 75 feet long, roots were within 10 feet of my house!!.
Agreed the houses were built in 1936 and this was 1960, but the point is
that as the slabs had lain unmoved for that period and assuming the trees
were planted when the house was new, those roots had shot up the garden at
the rate of 2 ft a year!!How far are these trees from your house?

Mike

Old 08-04-2005, 09:28 AM

In article , lynn lynn.1n4wvz@gardenban
ter.co.uk writes

--

looking at the other replies... If you damage the trees (other than
pruning your side) you can be liable, this applies to mechanical or

--
David
Old 08-04-2005, 09:39 AM
La Croix Joreau

Glen Able wrote:
Eyebright wrote:

lynn Wrote:

[...]

A few years ago when we lived in the UK we had a large front garden with
a Leylandii hedge inside the wall bordering us from the neighbouring
properties. I used to keep it cut to a reasonable height, but as every
time I cut it I came out in a nasty rash for a fortnight after, even if
I dressed to look like the Michelin man, I decided to cut the hedge down
and use the area for something else.

When I had cut the hedge down I got a lot of grief from one of the
neighbours who said he had only bought his house because of the hedge in
our garden!!!! When I suggested if he wanted a hedge he could grow one
in his garden he did not like that idea either.

John

Old 08-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Paul

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 09:28:40 +0100, wrote:

[...]

You all seem to HATE cats, is there anyway he might damage the trees
and somehow blame it on the local moggies.

Perhaps cat pee is toxic to Leylandii :-))

Paul

gnat hell minerva nine Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Black brush algae from hell .D.E Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 02-04-2003 07:32 PM
Black brush algae from hell Tasslehoff Freshwater Aquaria Plants 12 30-03-2003 01:56 PM
Uhh....guys, What the hell's on the veggie filter? DesertPond Ponds 9 12-03-2003 04:45 AM
gardeners from hell snafu steve United Kingdom 6 10-11-2002 09:51 PM