Old 08-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Bob Hobden

"Janet Baraclough" wrote after "Bob Hobden" replied

"Nick Maclaren" wrote ...

I was in Stuttgart University and I saw a couple of small trees that
I am completely baffled by. They had a growth habit rather like a
hamamelis, no leaves, and little (1") globular bunches of yellow
flowers surrounding the twigs. There were about a dozen flowers in
ball, with 4 petals, 4 stamens and a very prominent ovary, and were
c. 1/4" across and a similar length (slightly tubular). It is very
possible that the ovary wasn't one, of course, but just looked like
one.

I ought to be able to make a guess at the family, but can't. Any
ideas of species, genus or family?

Was this in a cool greenhouse or in the open? I ask as I've seen a
similar
plant in the cool greenhouse at the Savill Garden but can't remember it's
name. I do remember it had a strong scent.

Is the scented gh plant you're thinking of mimosa, Bob?
I was wondering about cornus mas. Or possibly fothergilla, whose
flowers are not very round or yellow like Nick's description but the
form is similar to hamamelis. Both are hardy outside.

No not a mimosa but as you have said what Nick asked I won't bother making a
trip there specially today.

--
Regards
Bob