Old 09-04-2005, 01:30 AM
Richard

Donald Gares wrote in news:42542F71.6070001
@crsales.com:

In planting zone 5 do you really have to dig up the bulbs each fall,
store them, and then replant them the following spring?

I did a Google search and found the above info but I know that what you
read is nor always "carved in stone". In fact, it seems like eveyone
used to cover their rose bushes in the fall but now very few, if any,
individuals do in our area.

Don

The big, floofy, commonly found in wedding and funeral bouquet
arrangement glads are not reliably hardy in zone 5. Some years, with
mulch for protection, we've had some of them (5 to 30%) overwinter next
to the foundation. Other years, nada. Varieties called 'hardy' glads,
which have smaller, more exotic-looking flowers, are more reliable and
with mulch in the fall are reliably hardy.

Glads are inexpensive enough and common enough that I just let em freeze
and get me a new color selection in the spring

Richard