Old 09-04-2005, 02:12 PM
~Roy~

The color of the dye blocks a certain sprectrum of light rays that are
necessary for algae growth. Even in a turbid pond the blue dye does
clear up the turbidity somewhat so you do gain some visibility even
though it may be a blue color.......To me I would rather look at a
fake blue color pond and have some clarity, than look at a grey
colored pond and not have but a few inches of visibility. Believe it
or not, The dye does help reduce algae growth, as well as other
aquatic growth.

My wqater comes out a blue green color, not as blue as the dye is,
mainly to do my composition of water / clay etc, so its not a real
artificial look, as it would be if its applied to a body of water with
good clear clean water.

On 8 Apr 2005 19:09:13 -0700, "scs0" wrote:

===I would think blue dye would do the same thing as the official stuff.
===Personally I hate the look of a dyed pond, the water just looks bad.
===It looks especially bad when the water is dyed blue because it looks so
===unnatural. It's like a nice pond of antifreeze or something. Another
===problem with dye is that it destroys the clarity of the water. I don't
===get it; the idea is to add dye to block light so that alge can't grow
===and block the light. It seems like people are just trading off
===greenish mirky water for blueish mirky water.