Old 08-04-2005, 06:45 PM
CanadianCowboy

Default food colour in pond

Hello,

sorry for another "dumb" e-mail but I just read that some people put
blue food colour in the pond as a replacement for the "official" pond
dye. Is this safe ? For a small pond like mine it is certainly cheaper
than buying a massive bottle . I hear that a capful is good
enough for 500 gallons.

ps- colour is spelled C-O-L-O-U-R in Canada
Old 09-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Oxymel of Squill

lost me, why does anyone dye their pond?

colour has a u in england too :-), as has favourite
wish someone would tell microsoft

Old 09-04-2005, 12:29 AM
Derek Broughton

CanadianCowboy wrote:

sorry for another "dumb" e-mail but I just read that some people put
blue food colour in the pond as a replacement for the "official" pond
dye. Is this safe ?

I'd say "yes" - it's safe for you so it's almost certainly as safe, or
safer, than "official" pond dyes (I hate even the thought of an official
pond dye).
It's my understanding, which nobody's seen fit to contradict yet, that the
blue pond dye is copper sulfate based. That's _not_ good for the
invertebrates in your pond.

I know some people think blue ponds look pretty, but I just don't get it.
It's unnatural, and... well, it's unnatural :-)

ps- colour is spelled C-O-L-O-U-R in Canada

Yeah, but it's a whole extra letter :-)
--
derek
Nova Scotia.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:57 AM
CanadianCowboy

You don't have to tell me that the real English comes from ENGLAND.
Not to offend any Americans !!!

Anyway ........people dye ponds to give it that nice blue look like a
fake pond is supposed to look like.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:32 AM
~Roy~

I dye mine to reduce the sunlight so it reduces my algae growth. It
works fine for reducing algae growth. I personally do not like the
color it gives as its too fake looking, but its usually better than
the normal natural pond color in this area which is either gray,
redish/brown depending on the type dirt the pond is constructed out of
or green from algae blooms.

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 00:08:46 +0100, "Oxymel of Squill"
wrote:

===lost me, why does anyone dye their pond?
===

Old 09-04-2005, 03:09 AM
scs0

I would think blue dye would do the same thing as the official stuff.
Personally I hate the look of a dyed pond, the water just looks bad.
It looks especially bad when the water is dyed blue because it looks so
unnatural. It's like a nice pond of antifreeze or something. Another
problem with dye is that it destroys the clarity of the water. I don't
get it; the idea is to add dye to block light so that alge can't grow
and block the light. It seems like people are just trading off
greenish mirky water for blueish mirky water.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:12 PM
~Roy~

The color of the dye blocks a certain sprectrum of light rays that are
necessary for algae growth. Even in a turbid pond the blue dye does
clear up the turbidity somewhat so you do gain some visibility even
though it may be a blue color.......To me I would rather look at a
fake blue color pond and have some clarity, than look at a grey
colored pond and not have but a few inches of visibility. Believe it
or not, The dye does help reduce algae growth, as well as other
aquatic growth.

My wqater comes out a blue green color, not as blue as the dye is,
mainly to do my composition of water / clay etc, so its not a real
artificial look, as it would be if its applied to a body of water with
good clear clean water.

Old 09-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Charles

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:29:25 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:

CanadianCowboy wrote:

sorry for another "dumb" e-mail but I just read that some people put
blue food colour in the pond as a replacement for the "official" pond
dye. Is this safe ?

I'd say "yes" - it's safe for you so it's almost certainly as safe, or
safer, than "official" pond dyes (I hate even the thought of an official
pond dye).
It's my understanding, which nobody's seen fit to contradict yet, that the
blue pond dye is copper sulfate based. That's _not_ good for the
invertebrates in your pond.

Some safety info for some types of pond dye. I don' see copper
listed in any of them.
:

http://www.precisionlab.com/itemimag...UE_EZ_MSDS.PDF

http://www.appliedbiochemists.com/aquashademsds.html

http://www.parkwayresearch.com/msds/BlueLagoon_msds.pdf

http://www.parkwayresearch.com/msds/...onWSB_msds.pdf

http://ultraclear.com/MSDS/OrgPondC.pdf

I know some people think blue ponds look pretty, but I just don't get it.
It's unnatural, and... well, it's unnatural :-)

ps- colour is spelled C-O-L-O-U-R in Canada

Yeah, but it's a whole extra letter :-)

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:48 PM
~Roy~

Exactly, the pond dyes do not contain any type of copper anything in
them to achieve the blue color.......Instructions on the jug of dye I
have says its safe for all aquatic life forms,as well as safe to swim
in, and safe for livestock to drink. Cattle ranchers around here also
use it in their livestock water tanks to reduce algae growth as
well......

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 19:37:03 GMT, Charles
wrote:

===On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:29:25 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:
===
===CanadianCowboy wrote:
===
=== sorry for another "dumb" e-mail but I just read that some people put
=== blue food colour in the pond as a replacement for the "official" pond
=== dye. Is this safe ?
===
===I'd say "yes" - it's safe for you so it's almost certainly as safe, or
===safer, than "official" pond dyes (I hate even the thought of an official
===pond dye).
===It's my understanding, which nobody's seen fit to contradict yet, that the
===blue pond dye is copper sulfate based. That's _not_ good for the
===invertebrates in your pond.
===
===
===Some safety info for some types of pond dye. I don' see copper
===listed in any of them.
===:
===

Old 26-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Registered User

Location: Harewood, Leeds

As a producer of Blue Dyes for Ponds (& black too) I feel that some of you may be using too much dye for your needs. 1Kg (about 2.2 pounds) will colour a pond containing 10,000,000 litres 2,642,000 US Gallons, 2,200,000 Imperial Gallons. The shade, once the dye has had time to circulate, is a very,very pale shade of Blue.

Pond Blue needs a minimum pond depth of 24 inches and works by reflecting Ultra Violet light away from the bottom of the pond to effectivly starve algae of it's food source. The product does NOT kill anything, it is NOT an algicide.

The costs can be found on our website www.dyofix.co.uk and I can assure you that the cost is much less than the same colour if sold for food use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Roy~

wrote:

===On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:29:25 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:
===
===