Old 09-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Tim Tompkins

You didn't tell us where you live, I presume it is a northern area with
harsh winters from your statement of zone 5.

I am in northern Colorado along the front range, also a zone 5 winter
climate. ALL of the Candadian roses have done well for me and are among the
first to show new growth in the spring.

The Front Range Rose Societies produce and sell a mostly organic rose food
that has produced excellent results in my garden. It is a relatively low
nutrient produce with all three primary numbers in the single digits.

I am strongly of the opinion that we should feed the soil and let the soil
feed our roses. I am NOT an organic fanatic, I just find that caring for
the soil produces the best results.

Tim

"Ben Tuinman" wrote in message
I have a rose called "Thompson", one of the so called "Explorer" series.

It
is supposed to be very hardy, good for the climate conditions in Zone 5
where we live. It did well last season, its first season, and it had

several
blooms. I decided that it would benefit of a move to a more sunny

location,
and moved it last fall. I noticed that it starts to bud now, and happy

that
it appears to have survived the extremely strong winter we had this last
winter. More to the point now : I would like to fertilize it, and wonder

if
anyone can give me some ideas as to what kind of fertilizer (numbers) to
use, how often, and any other suggestions to promote healthy growth in

this
beautiful rose. Thanks ! Ben