Old 09-04-2005, 09:49 AM
Charlie Pridham

"annet planten" wrote in message
The diversifolia's

C.integrifolia crosses easely with C.viticella and some other sorts.
The first known hybrids 'Eriostemon'and 'Hendersonii' are dated around
1835. They gave way to many other sorts: a development still going on.
Some authors counted the offspring from these couplings into the
diversifolia-group.
Contrary to C.integrifolia, C. x diversifolia is no species, but in
itself a cross between C.integrifolia and C.viticella, first accounted
for by De Canolle in 1818. Probably the then cultivated hybrid isn't
around for a long time now.
Seen this, it's tempting to separate the group of hybrids -from wich
serious sorts were presented in Gartenpraxis nr.7/2004- from the
original C.integrifolia. We follow this concept, so fencing in the
consequental numbers. Still, it's risky to bring sorts under this or
that group, without an exact knowledge of their genetic dates. Notable
are just the visual marks of C.integrifolia: height about 80 cm.,
undivided leaves, bell-shaped flowers from 3 to 5 cm in diameter.
The other partner, C.viticella, just has the indicated bell-shaped to
wide-open or plate-formed flowers, with 4 to 10 cm in diametre clearly
bigger as C.integrifolia, also having bi-fethered leaves helping the
shoots to climb to 3 to 5 metres. The base of the shoots is woody.
Offspring that, on sight, has more elements of the
viticella-parentage, should be ordered into the diversifolia-group.

My two euro-cents, including misspelllings ;-)
Annet

Many thanks it now makes sense, although why I was sent it I still don't
know as it says nothing new! To think I used to be quite hard on my daughter
when she complained about having to learn German, I certainly had no idea it
was as complicated, but then I never really mastered English properly :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk