Old 10-04-2005, 06:00 AM
Katra

In article ,
Joe Doe wrote:

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

None that you've noticed anyway. Some passion fruits are quite small and
hard to see in the foliage.

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...ionFlower2.jpg

Pretty. We have two varieties, one is purple, very pretty, "incense" I
believe. The other one is green and white and that one produces fruits
and seeds out the wazoo, they germinate everywhere.

Is this the same fruit as passion fruit? They were $2 each at HEB (the
fruit).

If it is the same, are they always as productive here as you describe?

Roland

Mmmm... there are over 500 varieties of passion flower. :-)
The one that produces commercial fruit, I believe, is Passiflora edulis.
There are dozens of references on Google.

Passion fruit must be ripe before being consumed. If it is bitter at
all, it contains cyanide...... So do the leaves.

Mine is not that species but it does produce a smaller edible fruit
according to references.

Passiflora incarnata is the one that is sold at health food stores as a
sleep aid.

I'm curious as to which two Victor has???

Here is some info. on mine. I mis-spelled it. ;-)
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...flora_caerulea
..html

Info. on passion fruit, P. edulis:
http://www.passionflow.co.uk/soil1.htm

This page has a number of species. It had me drooling... ;-)
http://members.aol.com/pasiflora1/
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain