Old 09-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Katra

Default Ok, so someone here said...

that passion vines tended to want to take over! lol

Today I discovered that, even tho' I'd planted the 2 vines in a 5 gallon
pot to PREVENT them from spreading, evidently the vine has grown thru
the holes in the bottom of the pot and into the ground, as I've
discovered 2 new passion vines several inches tall coming up out of the
ground in the general area of the pot!

That's what I get for not putting a water tray under it.

If I were to attempt to "lift" this pot and do it now, how much damage
would it do to the living vine?

I'll be digging up those two baby vines, potting them and offering them
for sale if they survive transplanting!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 09-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Victor Martinez

Katra wrote:
the holes in the bottom of the pot and into the ground, as I've
discovered 2 new passion vines several inches tall coming up out of the
ground in the general area of the pot!

My guess would be that these are seedlings, not shoots off the mother plant.

If I were to attempt to "lift" this pot and do it now, how much damage
would it do to the living vine?

Negligible.

I'll be digging up those two baby vines, potting them and offering them
for sale if they survive transplanting!

Which variety of passion vine is this?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 10-04-2005, 12:10 AM
Katra

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Katra wrote:
the holes in the bottom of the pot and into the ground, as I've
discovered 2 new passion vines several inches tall coming up out of the
ground in the general area of the pot!

My guess would be that these are seedlings, not shoots off the mother plant.

Couldn't be. ;-)
No fruits have been produced!
I've been trying to catch the open blooms and hand-pollinate but no
fruits yet. This is my first year with them.

If I were to attempt to "lift" this pot and do it now, how much damage
would it do to the living vine?

Negligible.

Thanks.
I'll probably have to get help trying it!

I'll be digging up those two baby vines, potting them and offering them
for sale if they survive transplanting!

Which variety of passion vine is this?

P. cerrulea......

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...ionFlower2.jpg

Thanks!!! I'm not going to panic over root shoots, I'll just have to
keep tabs. I don't want them getting anywhere near my foundation.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 10-04-2005, 04:34 AM
Victor Martinez

Katra wrote:
Couldn't be. ;-)
No fruits have been produced!

None that you've noticed anyway. Some passion fruits are quite small and
hard to see in the foliage.

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...ionFlower2.jpg

Pretty. We have two varieties, one is purple, very pretty, "incense" I
believe. The other one is green and white and that one produces fruits
and seeds out the wazoo, they germinate everywhere.

Thanks!!! I'm not going to panic over root shoots, I'll just have to
keep tabs. I don't want them getting anywhere near my foundation.

I doubt a tiny little vine could even dent a piece of concrete..

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 10-04-2005, 04:50 AM
Joe Doe

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

None that you've noticed anyway. Some passion fruits are quite small and
hard to see in the foliage.

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...ionFlower2.jpg

Pretty. We have two varieties, one is purple, very pretty, "incense" I
believe. The other one is green and white and that one produces fruits
and seeds out the wazoo, they germinate everywhere.

Is this the same fruit as passion fruit? They were $2 each at HEB (the
fruit).

If it is the same, are they always as productive here as you describe?

Roland

Old 10-04-2005, 05:45 AM
Katra

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Katra wrote:
Couldn't be. ;-)
No fruits have been produced!

None that you've noticed anyway. Some passion fruits are quite small and
hard to see in the foliage.

Maybe, but it only started flowering a month or so ago, and the fruits
of this one are supposed to be red and about 1 inch across. I've been
watching for fruits as I want to harvest the seeds!

But, I won't deny the possibility, just that it's unlikely at this
point. G

And, I checked, and the root system has indeed left the pot!
The two sprouts, one is about 12" away from the base of the pot and the
other is about 24" away from the pot. All of the flowers are on more
distant tendrils, but that does not rule out squirrels!
I'll start looking harder for fruits.

How long after blooming does it take a fruit to mature?

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...ionFlower2.jpg

Pretty. We have two varieties, one is purple, very pretty, "incense" I
believe. The other one is green and white and that one produces fruits
and seeds out the wazoo, they germinate everywhere.

Thanks!!! I'm not going to panic over root shoots, I'll just have to
keep tabs. I don't want them getting anywhere near my foundation.

I doubt a tiny little vine could even dent a piece of concrete..

No, but I've heard from other list members that they will do the same
thing ivy does... Find any crack or crevice and work their way inside of
buildings! I don't allow English ivy to get near the house either. lol
The Confederate Jasmine has been enough of a PITA!
--
K.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:47 AM
Katra

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Pretty. We have two varieties, one is purple, very pretty, "incense" I
believe. The other one is green and white and that one produces fruits
and seeds out the wazoo, they germinate everywhere.

Would you care to do some trading?
I'd love to have some of your green blossom seeds!

I can trade future cuttings/sprouts, or trade for some seeds that I have.
Care for some birdhouse gourd or bindweed? (wild morning glory)
I also have some nice callused San Pedro cuttings waiting to be potted,
hopefully tomorrow.
--
K.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:00 AM
Katra

In article ,
Joe Doe wrote:

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

None that you've noticed anyway. Some passion fruits are quite small and
hard to see in the foliage.

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...ionFlower2.jpg

Pretty. We have two varieties, one is purple, very pretty, "incense" I
believe. The other one is green and white and that one produces fruits
and seeds out the wazoo, they germinate everywhere.

Is this the same fruit as passion fruit? They were $2 each at HEB (the
fruit).

If it is the same, are they always as productive here as you describe?

Roland

Mmmm... there are over 500 varieties of passion flower. :-)
The one that produces commercial fruit, I believe, is Passiflora edulis.
There are dozens of references on Google.

Passion fruit must be ripe before being consumed. If it is bitter at
all, it contains cyanide...... So do the leaves.

Mine is not that species but it does produce a smaller edible fruit
according to references.

Passiflora incarnata is the one that is sold at health food stores as a
sleep aid.

I'm curious as to which two Victor has???

Here is some info. on mine. I mis-spelled it. ;-)
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...flora_caerulea
..html

Info. on passion fruit, P. edulis:
http://www.passionflow.co.uk/soil1.htm

This page has a number of species. It had me drooling... ;-)
http://members.aol.com/pasiflora1/

Old 10-04-2005, 01:13 PM
hayduke

Katra wrote:
No fruits have been produced!
I've been trying to catch the open blooms and hand-pollinate but no
fruits yet. This is my first year with them.

I recently moved into a rental house that has a coulpe of these, quite
beautiful and growing strong.

To hand-pollinate would you use a little paint brush or ???
Old 10-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Victor Martinez

Katra wrote:
Would you care to do some trading?
I'd love to have some of your green blossom seeds!

And I would love to have some red-fruit passion vine...

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 10-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Victor Martinez

Katra wrote:
Mmmm... there are over 500 varieties of passion flower. :-)

Indeed.

The one that produces commercial fruit, I believe, is Passiflora edulis.
There are dozens of references on Google.

It's not the only one though. The passion fruit that is common here in
the US is not the same as the "chinese pomegranate" that we have in
Mexico. That one is very sweet, not at all sour. I brought some seeds
back a couple of years ago and one plant germinated. I planted it in the
veggie garden (my mistake) and some bug ate it all.
I'll have to try again, that is a most delicious fruit and impossible to
find here.

I'm curious as to which two Victor has???

The purple one is "incense" passion vine:
http://mgonline.com/passionvine03.jpg
The green/white one is "Constance Elliot" passion vine:
http://almostedenplants.com/mall/Whitepassionflower.asp
This is the one that produces a lot of fruit. They are very small and
not bad tasting. I guess it does spread by runners... I always thought
it was through seeds since it produces so many fruits.
I've learned something new!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 11-04-2005, 01:17 AM
Katra

In article , hayduke
wrote:

Katra wrote:
No fruits have been produced!
I've been trying to catch the open blooms and hand-pollinate but no
fruits yet. This is my first year with them.

I recently moved into a rental house that has a coulpe of these, quite
beautiful and growing strong.

To hand-pollinate would you use a little paint brush or ???

I use either a paint brush, or I just break off a stamen and brush the
pistils with the furry side that has the pollen. :-)
--
K.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:20 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Katra wrote:
Would you care to do some trading?
I'd love to have some of your green blossom seeds!

And I would love to have some red-fruit passion vine...

lol
If I can find and get P. edulis going, I'll post back! :-)

Of course, if and when I can get these (P. caerulea) to fruit, I hope to
have seeds available as well for these..... but I think they are more
ornamental than anything?
--
Om.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:05 PM
hayduke

Katra wrote:

To hand-pollinate would you use a little paint brush or ???

I use either a paint brush, or I just break off a stamen and brush the
pistils with the furry side that has the pollen. :-)
--
K.

I'll give it a try. I've got two plants that are busting with blossoms now,
I'm going to build a trelless sp? to give them more to grow onto. )

Thanks
Whit

Old 11-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Katra

In article , hayduke
wrote:

Katra wrote:

To hand-pollinate would you use a little paint brush or ???

I use either a paint brush, or I just break off a stamen and brush the
pistils with the furry side that has the pollen. :-)
--
K.

I'll give it a try. I've got two plants that are busting with blossoms now,
I'm going to build a trelless sp? to give them more to grow onto. )

Thanks
Whit

Hope it works for ya!
Mine is finally beginning to burst with blooms as well, so I'm
increasing my efforts. :-)

I should know in another week or two if my hand efforts are working or
not! I have two vines so I'm trying to cross-pollinate from flower to
flower rather than using the pollen from each flower to pollinate itself
as that does not always work well.

Mine are all over the roof of greenhouse #1 (which is good as i wanted
that one shaded!) so some blooms are hard to reach.