Old 10-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Victor Martinez

Katra wrote:
Mmmm... there are over 500 varieties of passion flower. :-)

Indeed.

The one that produces commercial fruit, I believe, is Passiflora edulis.
There are dozens of references on Google.

It's not the only one though. The passion fruit that is common here in
the US is not the same as the "chinese pomegranate" that we have in
Mexico. That one is very sweet, not at all sour. I brought some seeds
back a couple of years ago and one plant germinated. I planted it in the
veggie garden (my mistake) and some bug ate it all.
I'll have to try again, that is a most delicious fruit and impossible to
find here.

I'm curious as to which two Victor has???

The purple one is "incense" passion vine:
http://mgonline.com/passionvine03.jpg
The green/white one is "Constance Elliot" passion vine:
http://almostedenplants.com/mall/Whitepassionflower.asp
This is the one that produces a lot of fruit. They are very small and
not bad tasting. I guess it does spread by runners... I always thought
it was through seeds since it produces so many fruits.
I've learned something new!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he