Old 10-04-2005, 10:34 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"JimGC" wrote ...
A friend of mine (who doesn't knows this group) has an old,
old yukka which has grown too tall - it hit the roof and is
now growing horizontally... It has to be cut back, or got
rid off. Can a plant like this grow leaves again if it's cut
back from it's current 8' to say around 3?

"Cereus-validus....." wrote ...
Are you alluding to Manihot esculenta or Yucca elephantipes?

I've only ever seen Cassava grown at RBG Kew in the UK, I would think it's
more than likely the plant is Y. elephantipes. It's the normal Yucca sold

as
house plants over here.

It's interesting that David is now growing it outside in the UK, I wonder
whereabouts and if it is the real Y.elephantipes?
David, please let us know. A photo would help ID. How has it coped with

the
frost?

Bob,

only just got round to reading the reply.

Coastal Suffolk, so not much frost.

Two are on our balcony in larg oak half barrels.

The third is in what was a rockery.

All seem to be very hardy but we don't get hard winters here by the sea.

Will post a picture or two in a bit.

Cheers

Dave R