Old 02-04-2005, 12:21 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Yukka hits the roof...

"JimGC" wrote in message
A friend of mine (who doesn't knows this group) has an old,
old yukka which has grown too tall - it hit the roof and is
now growing horizontally... It has to be cut back, or got
rid off. Can a plant like this grow leaves again if it's cut
back from it's current 8' to say around 3?

It should be O.K. (probably).

The trunk may well root and produce several more plants if cut into
segments.

My Yuccas (outside now) also produces a load of new shoots from the base.

A safe strategy would be to root one or more of these offshoots then cut the
main plant back, and perhaps also try and root the crown which still has
leaves on.

The ones in the shops seem to be just segments of trunk which have rooted
and put out side shoots.

HTH
Dave R

Old 02-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Are you alluding to Manihot esculenta or Yucca elephantipes?

"JimGC" wrote in message
A friend of mine (who doesn't knows this group) has an old,
old yukka which has grown too tall - it hit the roof and is
now growing horizontally... It has to be cut back, or got
rid off. Can a plant like this grow leaves again if it's cut
back from it's current 8' to say around 3?

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
To email go to my address and take out the dog ...

Old 02-04-2005, 12:53 PM
pk

JimGC wrote:
Can a plant like this grow leaves again if it's cut
back from it's current 8' to say around 3?

ye, no problem it will sprout quite happily.

pk

Old 02-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Bob Hobden

"JimGC" wrote ...
A friend of mine (who doesn't knows this group) has an old,
old yukka which has grown too tall - it hit the roof and is
now growing horizontally... It has to be cut back, or got
rid off. Can a plant like this grow leaves again if it's cut
back from it's current 8' to say around 3?

"Cereus-validus....." wrote ...
Are you alluding to Manihot esculenta or Yucca elephantipes?

I've only ever seen Cassava grown at RBG Kew in the UK, I would think it's
more than likely the plant is Y. elephantipes. It's the normal Yucca sold as
house plants over here.

It's interesting that David is now growing it outside in the UK, I wonder
whereabouts and if it is the real Y.elephantipes?
David, please let us know. A photo would help ID. How has it coped with the
frost?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 03-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Sarah Dale

Bob Hobden wrote:
It's interesting that David is now growing it outside in the UK, I wonder
whereabouts and if it is the real Y.elephantipes?
David, please let us know. A photo would help ID. How has it coped with the
frost?

Bob,

I grow what I believe to be Y.elephantipes outside here in N.Wales. They
seem to be bomb proof and have lived through snow, deep freezes and me
hacking one to pieces.

Would you like me to send you a baby for P&P or swapsies - or do you
want to come and dig a large one up? I have two to move or dispose of in
the near future! Might be a bit far away though as you are down in
Runnemede.

They are very architectural all year, ans my largest plant does flower -
very spectacular - but they are so painful to garden round.

HTH, Sarah
Old 03-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Bob Hobden

"Sarah Dale" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
It's interesting that David is now growing it outside in the UK, I wonder
whereabouts and if it is the real Y.elephantipes?
David, please let us know. A photo would help ID. How has it coped with
the frost?

Bob,

I grow what I believe to be Y.elephantipes outside here in N.Wales. They
seem to be bomb proof and have lived through snow, deep freezes and me
hacking one to pieces.

Would you like me to send you a baby for P&P or swapsies - or do you want
to come and dig a large one up? I have two to move or dispose of in the
near future! Might be a bit far away though as you are down in Runnemede.

They are very architectural all year, ans my largest plant does flower -
very spectacular - but they are so painful to garden round.

Thanks for the offer but I don't have the room for one at the moment.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:34 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"JimGC" wrote ...
[...]

only just got round to reading the reply.

Coastal Suffolk, so not much frost.

Two are on our balcony in larg oak half barrels.

The third is in what was a rockery.

All seem to be very hardy but we don't get hard winters here by the sea.

Will post a picture or two in a bit.

Cheers

Dave R

Yukka - outdoors? Lord0 United Kingdom 3 20-03-2007 12:25 PM
YUKKA plant - shade crowflies United Kingdom 1 25-04-2005 08:52 AM
2 hurricanes; direct hits in 3 weeks William Hill Orchids 43 24-10-2004 02:55 AM
broken yukka... sheila North Carolina 1 01-05-2003 05:34 PM
Spring hits central MS Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 5 16-03-2003 03:32 AM