Old 10-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Rusty Mase

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 03:18:51 GMT, "g" wrote:
And, speaking of names, come to think of it, three of the favorite
fish in Louisiana a white perch, sacolet (sack'-oh-lay) and
crappie (crop'-ee). They're all the same fish, actually!

Well, while you are running around in Cajun Country, see if you can
find some gardener making a fermented pepper hot sauce. My Dad was
half Cajun and he used to mention jars of pepper sauce that people
kept around to dip some out of for cooking. He just canned his
peppers and never made a sauce from them.

There are several sources of these recipes on the internet and I am
going to experiment with at least one recipe this summer. I have a
stand of peppers I think are "Macho" peppers from Southern Mexico that
are close to pequin peppers. If I screen these to keep out the
Mockingbirds I can harvest several pounds of these small peppers. The
recipe may be just mashing the peppers and adding natural vinegar and
salt.

Rusty Mase
Austin, Texas