Old 11-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Mike

"gillylal" wrote in message

This is a longish-term project: I'd like to hedge part of a field as a
hen-run, which means the hedge needs to be dense from the ground up and
6 feet tall. I thought of privet, because I believe it's quite
fast-growing, but it would be nice to have a mixture. Suggestions
gratefully received.

--
gillylal

Doesn't really matter what you use. The choice is yours, but don't forget to
put the wire mesh in first, because a hedge alone will not be sufficient. I
would suggest a strong plastic coated chain link to start with. It will slow
the foxes down a bit, not a lot, but a bit :-))

We had chickens and the foxes got in. It was only because the hole to the
hen hose was too small for the fox to get in, that stopped it wiping the lot
out.

And don't forget chickens can clear a 6 ft hedge/wall/fence. We had our
chickens in the orchard and many a time they were roosting in the branches.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past